We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
380 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

Is it worth the hassle to do Essaouria as a daytrip? This means either staying in Marrakech for 5 or 4 nights depending whether we do this or not. After Essaouria then it's off on an overnight train to Tangier where we stay for two nights and then ending the trip in Fes where we stay for 3 nights.

Any ideas, thoughts? We prefer exploring cities than going out in nature.

Thanks again in advance.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
985 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

An overnight stay in Essaouira is more relaxing even though it can be done as a day trip as it is 3 hours travel each way. Essaouira can be explored in a few hours but staying longer gives the opportunity to experience more eating and shopping opportunities. Plus sunset and/or sunrise is a really nice time of day there.

chelmsford
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

If you go for a day trip are there any tips for making sure you get a ticket for the last bus back? You cannot buy in advance, is that still correct?

London, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

it is still correct, been there 2 weekes ago, try to get off the coach from Marrakech as quickly as possible and go to ticket office. Essaouria can be explored in 5 hours, but if you fancy a lazy walks and dining stay overnight, really nice change from a mad pace of Marrakech. and the beach is really, really nice

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
985 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

I have booked Essaouira tickets in advance throught he rail system. If Supratours is busy, you can also try CTM buses that run at slightly different times.

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

ho01, do you mean that you were able to yours in advance at the train station?

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

I meant to type hf01, not ho01! Sorry!

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

How did you book the overnight train to Tangiers- over the internet or with a tour company? Just curious as am starting to plan for a trip this summer. Thanks!

chelmsford
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

anyone done this jumping off the bus quickly at essouria and getting straight into ticket office and booking for the last coach back? We are sort of planning to do that but am worried I will be stressed out by it and perhaps not worth it. We are already booked into our Marrakech accommodation and dont want to stay in Essouria overnight. Just how full is that last bus back normally - I kind of imagine fairly full? It is just so annoying you cannot pre-book

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

I've read that you can buy your return ticket when you buy your outward ticket. In fact I'm sure I've read it's best to buy these tickets a couple of days in advance eg. once you get to Marrakech if you're staying there a few days.

Is it more a case of you can buy them in person in advance, but just not book them in advance eg. online?

chelmsford
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: essaouria: overnight or day-trip from marrakech

anyone know definitively? Can you buy an return ticket when you book outward journey? This is driving me mad!