We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Internet

uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Internet

I have been looking at Moroccos GSM providers websites, they seem to offer Mobile internet, Wana specifically seems to offer a modem of sorts, now what's the deal with the pricing, it looks to me like 10dhs per day?

Anyone able to decipher it to me?

http://www.wana.ma/accueil.internet.html

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Internet

All three providers offer USB modems that work with varying degrees of success depending on where you are in the country and the number of people on the web at the time through that provider. The modems run around 500 dhs and the monthly fee is around 200 dhs. I have one from Meditel and one from Wana. Both offer ok service but nothing to get excited about. They can be incredibly slow at times.

uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Internet

Can you have some sort of "prepay" sevice?

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Internet

Yes all of them offer a prepay service. Meditel amd Maroc Telecom also offer account services, not sure about Wana. With the prepay, usually the cost of purchasing the modem comes with a couple of months freee service. For instance with Meditel the modem costs 500 dhm but comes with 2 months free connection (which is worth 400 dhm). You then top up in almost the same manner as topping up mobile phone credit.

Maybe if you explain more about why and what you are looking for you may get information more pertinent to your needs.

uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Internet

I am coming to morocco by car and am wanting to have a connection to the internet while I am out and about basically.

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Internet

Are you coming to Morocco for a week, a month, a year?

Will you be driving just in urban areas or out in the coutryside?

What do you want the internet access for? eg Downloading or just checking emails etc.

As I said before, unless you provide the proper background as to why you want the service it is hard to answer your questions?

uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Internet

I am coming for two weeks, i will be driving all over, countryside and city.

Internet for emails, booking hotels, other info.

Should be enough :D

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Internet

First of all, all the suppliers require that you buy a modem from them, the price of which usually includes some period of free service.

You then need to chosse between a 3G or normal service. The 3G services tends to be only in the bigger urban areas. Note there tends to be no price diff between the 2.

3G Service

All 3 suppliers Wana, Maroc Telecom (Menara), and Meditel have a 3G service, if you are just going to be driving between urban areas then I think the best option is the Meditel 3G Service (without contract) costs 449dhm for the modem and 2 months free connection.

3G coverage

Wana www.wana.ma/couverture.wana.internet.php

Menara menara.ma/fr/Communiquer/Offres%20Menara/…

Meditel http://www.meditel3gplus.ma/ then click 'coverture' at the nottom of the page

Normal 'Non 3G' service

If you are going to be spending a substantial amount of time outside urban areas then you will need to go with either the Maroc Telecom/Menara or Wana standard NON-3G services. Meditel only has 3G.

The Maroc Telecom (Menara) service costs a minimun of 690 dhm with modems and 2 months free service. I have not been able to find specific refenece to the areas covered, but Maroc Telecom/Menara tends to have the best coverage in Morocco.

The Wana 'without contract' non-3G service seems to cost 490 dhm for teh modem and 7 days free service.

the coverage is shown here http://www.wana.ma/couverture.wana.mobile.php

Other Options

Also there are alot of Internet Cafes (Cybernet) in Morooco that are very cheap, you should be able to easily find one in every town you visit. Also some hotels have a WiFi service or a computer for guest usage.

uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Internet

I am wondering, What is classed as "Urban areas"

I am going to be travelling through various areas that aren't strictly urban (merzouga etc)

I am thinking of using either wana or menara as you say their coverage is better?

9. Re: Mobile Internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 05:41