We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

critique our itinerary, please

Maryland
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
critique our itinerary, please

We'll be starting with 3 weeks in Rabat; that's given. We're planning one weekend trip from Rabat to Casablanca and another weekend trip to either Meknes or Chefchaouen (recommendatations?). After that, our schedule looks like this:

Day 1: travel to Essaouira and overnight there

Days 2-5: travel to Marrakech - see the sights and take a cooking class

Day 6: rent a car and drive ourselves to Ouarzazate or Ait Ben Haddou (recommendations?)

Day 7: drive to Merzouga and overnight in the desert

Day 8: drive toward Fes and stop somewhere mid-way (recommendations?)

Days 9-10: arrive in Fes and visit the city

Day 11: travel to Casablanca to catch flight back home the following morning

We'd love any suggestions, recommendations, or comments. Thanks!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: critique our itinerary, please

We usually stay in Midelt when driving Merzouga to Fes. It's about half way and makes for a nice stop off point.

Meknes is easier to get to than Chefchaoen. Chefchaoen is nice, but I think a little over rated. I don't see the attraction. I'd recommend Meknes and maybe the Roman ruins of Volubilis just outside the city.

uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: critique our itinerary, please

I disagree, Chefchaoun is well worth a look, it can be reached easily enough if you drive.

The roman ruins are a great day trip too.

I'd try to spend at least a full day out in Essouaira - there isn't that much to do there, but it is very different from most Moroccan towns and has a great beach. If you are into cookery the seafood and spices there are brilliant and the locals are a lot easier to talk to - very accomodating and will advise you on recipes and purchases.

Ait ben haddou has a brilliant Kasbah, but you wouldn't even need to dedicate a whole day to it, it's very easily explored within a few hours.

If you're flying into Casablanca then book your flights asap, it's a popular route and prices shoot up really quickly.

Have fun!

Maryland
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: critique our itinerary, please

Thank you both for your great suggestions! We're thinking now of changing things up slightly -- spending a weekend in Fes during our time in Rabat and then seeing Casablanca the day before our flight out. I haven't heard great things about Casablanca, so I think a full day there before heading to the airport will be enough. Then, we can go to Meknes after the desert instead of Fes, if only for a day.

I will definitely look into Midelt as our stopover. We could rent a car to Chefchaouen, but is it doable without one, or just too much hassle?

Thanks again!

uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: critique our itinerary, please

probably not doable with no car sorry!

5. Re: critique our itinerary, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 06:32