We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel fez in

NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
hotel fez in

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Fez In in Fez? It is really cheap and air conditioned, so I'm very curious.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel fez in

I am in Fes a lot but have not heard of this hotel. There are a lot of lower budget hotels in Fes that are actually good buys. I've stayed in several of them. I'll see if I can find it next week while there and upload a review.

NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel fez in

Thanks!!

Tangier
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel fez in

Hotel Fes Inn is a nice two stars hotel, the only problem there is the situation of the hotel . the hotel is not in the center plus is located in a very bad area in Fes.

Have great time in Morocco

NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel fez in

Yikes! I already booked Hotel Fes In. How bad is the area? And what makes it bad?

Are you familiar with Zahrat Al Jabal? Or De La Paix? Or Menzeh Zalagh (a good bit more expensive)?

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel fez in

What makes Fes Inn undesirable is the fact that it is too far from anywhere interesting within walking distance, you're literally in somewhat of a slum area with only taxis as your means of getting to where the real interest is, which is the medina, which is where you should be looking. The other hotels you mentioned are mediocre two stars at best, a poor imitation of the kinds of international hotels you could find in Anywhereistan. You should look into staying in a Riad or Dar, a uniquely Moroccan experience. Many of these places are air-conditioned and they are all located in the area with the most interest to visitors (the medina, or Fes El-Bali)

UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel fez in

If you're backpacking there's no reason to book a hotel in advance in Fes, even at busy periods there will always be a decent enough place to stay.

Go to the old medina though - the new town's pretty forgettable.

There are loads of hostels around the Bab Boujeloud area - and also a lot of touts. Touts will have relationships with particular hotels and will swear blind that everywhere else is full - having said that they get commission from the hotel/hostels not from you - so if you're a bit disorientated let them show you the way!

Best advice is to use the Rough Guide and take your pick. The Hotel Cascada is probably the roughest hostel - I stayed in Hotel Lamrani a couple of times - very nice - and lived in Pension Batha for months - lovely.

For something more upmarket go for the Hotel Batha (former British Ambassador's palace) - about £30 a night - rarely full - a bit overpriced.

But - for the sake of staying in the old town it's worth getting somewhere either a bit grim or a bit pricey.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel fez in

I have stayed in Zahrat Al Jabal several times. It is very well located near the center of town. The rooms are on the smallish side but very clean and everything works including air conditioning and free internet in the rooms. The price is very good for Fes and I highly recommend it as an alternative if you decide to give up the Hotel Fes Inn.

NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel fez in

I did stay at Hotel Fez Inn and loved it! Yes, it's a hotel, not a riad, but it was a nice place, spacious, pretty and clean with excellent a/c and a wonderful staff. An older man named Tob at the front desk was particularly helpful. Breakfast was forgettable, but everything else was great.

I did not mind staying in the new town. It was only 1.5 to 2 Euros to take a taxi to the old city. And while the old city was fascinating and was where I spent most of my time, it is incredibly dusty and dirty, so I was happy to come back to the modern hotel at the end of the day.

I definitely recommend Hotel Fez Inn, but advise booking through 1800Hotels.com for the best price. I paid $35 (US) per night, while their stated price is closer to 60 Euro per night.

9. Re: hotel fez in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 06:20