We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez and Tangier - or where?

Fulham
Level Contributor
350 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Fez and Tangier - or where?

We are planning a week's holiday across Christmas.

We have been to Marrakech.

Fez is on our list as being interesting and photographically colourful. But not needing seven nights.

We'd thought of combining it with Casablanca, but there are posts around here suggesting that Casa is relatively mundane (you could be anywhere in the world one poster says).

Baring in mind we need somewhere accessable from the UK by air (Fez being not) we wondered if a good second location would be Tangier.

Yes/no or any other suggestions please!

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez and Tangier - or where?

You have chosen my two favourite places in Morocco, though most forum writers will disagree.

If you read any of my posters you will see that I love Tanger, but having spent quite a few Christmas and New Years there, I would be reluctant to totally recommend it at that time of year.

At Christmas the weather is not totally reliable, I personally found it to be quite cold, though the daytime temperture can be pleasant, you would certainly need to think of packing warm clothes. Obviously Christmas and New Years eve are not celebrated in thesame way as in the U.K, and if staying in one of the hotels you will find that Christmas Eve dinner can be extremely xpensive also New Years Eve as well.

I have not spent a Christmas holiday in Fes, so am unsure as to what happens there, but I believe that the weather will be reasonable cold.

Sorry if this is a damper on your ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez and Tangier - or where?

Fes is accessible by air from the UK. Check Atlas Blue and Royal Air Maroc.

You could spend four or five nights in Fes, and take a day trip to the imperial city of Meknes and the nearby Roman ruins of Volubilis, as well as the picturesque village of Moulay Idriss. Or another possibility is the cedar forests and Barbary monkeys near Azrou...itself worth a visit and with walking possibilities in the area.

Chefchaouen in the Rif mountains, three hours north of Fes and about an hour away from Tangier, is worth spending a few nights. It is a very picturesque village with a laid back atmosphere and excellent walking opportunities.

And of course, Tangier is well worth a visit, despite it's reputation as being a seedy place. It has changed quite significantly in the last several years. If you wanted to combine a visit to Fes with one to Tangier, you have a decent rail connection (5 hrs).

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Meknes
Meknes
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Volubilis
Volubilis
1,013 Reviews
Azrou
Azrou
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Tangier
Tangier
Fulham
Level Contributor
350 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez and Tangier - or where?

Thanks for those pointers.

We'll research them all.

Tony

4. Re: Fez and Tangier - or where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 05:20