We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

Hi there,

We are a family of 4 that will be travelling to Morocco in December. As we fly in and out of Marrakesh, we are travelling in a bit of a loop. Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Arrive Marrakesh late afternoon

Dec 2 - Marrakesh

Day 3 - Marrakesh

Day 4 – Depart 8:00 a.m. - Marrakech to Dades Gorge

Day 5 - Dades Gorge to Merzouga via Tondra Gorge (overnight in desert)

Day 6 - Merzouga to Fez

Day 7 - Fez

Day 8 - Fez

Day 9 - ?

Day 10 – Hotel booked for evening in Marrakesh

Day 11 – Marrakesh

Day 12 – Depart Marrakesh – Mid afternoon

We are wondering what we should do after we leave Fez. I expect that we will travel by train and originally we had hoped to fit Oualidia into our trip but I think we are short on time. Would you agree? What about going as far as the train goes (I believe it’s El Jadida). Is this town worth visiting? Or should we visit Rabat instead? Other suggestions? We really wanted to see as much of Morocco's diversity as possible in the short time we are there but we don’t want to spend all of our time travelling. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

If you really want to squeeze a seaside resort, it should be Essaouira.

This would be my recommendation:

Day 9: evening arrival to Essaouira.

Day 10: Essaouira

Day 11: Marrakech

Day 12: Depart Marrakech in the afternoon.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

Thanks for responding. So I believe we'll have to take a train and then a Grand taxi - is this correct? And from Fez it will take most of the day to get there - corrrect?

Is it worth going all this way for one day? Is Essaouria really very different from the other places that we will have already seen. I know that's probably a difficult question to answer but I'm really struggling with whether we would be trying to see too much in those two days. On the other hand we are coming a long way to see Morocco and I'd hate to miss something thats a truly special experience.

United States
Level Contributor
9,354 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

Agree with Morocco Maniac above...day 9 and 10 Essouria for sure.I think given the diversity you seek too many days/nights in Marrakech. also depending on your flight time was just negotiated a taxi to take us directly to the airport on our last day instead of staying in Marrakech but that depends on your flight time and I guess tolerance of risk as something could go wrong enroute back. In terms of really being different Fez is it for me but Marrakech certainly has some interesting sights, smells and sounds...have fun...

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

I would not go to Essaouira. It's simply too far. You'll spend way to much time on the road. I would enjoy Meknes which is close to Fes and you could go outside a little of Meknes and see the Roman city of Volubilis where part of the movie Patton was filmed.

An alternative would be Rabat. Good shopping in the souks there. Very clean city and the capital.

I wouldn't go to El Jadida either. Nothing there really to see and, again, too much time on the road. Spend a day in Meknes and see one of the third of the four imperial cities (you will already have done Marrakech and Fes).

5. Re: Extra day between Fez and Marrakesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 05:22