We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakesh or Paris?

uk
4 posts
Save Topic
Marrakesh or Paris?

I am trying to decide on whether to go for a week to Marrakesh or a few days to Paris!! I am worried that Marrakesh will be busy, touristy and we will be hassled constantly to buy things. Planning a couple of trips out of town, such as the Atlas mountains and the waterfalls, but it is very hard to choose which ones to go for. I don't want to spend a lot of time travelling back and forth. Also, how expensive is it to eat out in Marrakesh? What sort of budge should we allow for eating out and trips? We could have something inexpensive for lunch and then something more substantial for dinner, but what is the average cost of a meal please? For anyone who has been to both Paris and Marrakesh, which do you prefer?! Both quite different, I know.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

You have not stated which time of year you intend to go.

I will suppose you will go in the winter months in which case it's a no-brainer - Paris will be much as the UK is in winter whereas Marrakech and other parts of Morocco will be considerably warmer and have sunshine, although it may get a little chilly in the evenings.

I too am pondering where to go in the winter, if all else fails then it will most definitely be Marrakech.

Whichever day trip you choose, you will travel on the road for anything up to 2 hours if there are road works but the end result will be worth the effort.

Trips can cost anything between 200 and 750Dh depending on where you go and with whom; organised trips are a bit cheaper as you are with a group but you don't really get any flexibility as if you were to go by taxi (which would cost more).

Cots of eating depend where you eat - you can eat for 50Dh in a Moroccan restaurant or you can pay 600Dh (or more) in a posh place.

I don't think I would go to Paris for any reason, sorry but Europe bores me somewhat as most of what we see is pretty much the same.

If you want info on trips, click my name and send me your e-mail.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

I agree with john5159 - Europe IS boring. I would choose Morocco, after having seen Paris. Let's face it - Europe is Europe, and if you want something with a bit of "taste" that is different, then go to Morocco!

And the prices, there is a big difference, as far as accommodation and meals are concerned.

In a week, you can explore Marrakech surroundings, perhaps head for the south also, to the coast for fresh air. Essaouira and Tiznit areas are not far, abt 5 hrs with a bus, or grandtaxi.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

You will have to worry about your budget a lot more in Paris than you will in Marrakech. Having been to both many times, if I was worried about budget, I would choose Marrakech for sure. And if you are thinking about a winter trip, then for sure Marrakech.

Of course as the movie says: Paris is always a good idea (but not if you are worrying about a budget).

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

If you're looking for exotic, dusty and adventurous, then go with Marrakech.

If you're looking for charm, elegance and culture, then go to Paris. I would agree that Paris is more expensive in general, than Morocco is.

Ultimately, it would be great to visit BOTH cities in a lifetme.

Don't get me wrong: Paris is great, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be Marrakech.

:)

...you can't go wrong either way...

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
714 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

Totally different destinations. Like chalk and cheese.

Depends what you want. Marrakech is not touristy at all and we were hardly hassled at all. It is a great destination, but it cannot compare with the grandness of the buildings in Paris and the museums etc.

Both destinations are great for different reasons.

Do one this time and the other next time - simples!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
337 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

Hello,

Paris is totally different from Marrakech;It is an other culture,another society.I can suggest to visit Paris in summer time.Marrakech is the north african capital for all visitors.You can find cheap and expensive things ,and to avoid that it is better that your trip will be arranged by a tour operator.

Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

This is such a personal question.... I almost want to ask what your star sign is and what colour you are wearing today before giving an answer. I believe that reseach is the only way you will resolve this, but be honest with yourself about the type of holiday you want.... money is not the only consideration here, comfort and culture are huge questions.

Paris is a personal favouite of mine, but then, I'm an Aussie and for me Europe is FAR from boring. Having said that, I am going hugely excited to be going to Morocco in March 2010...... When I have a problem like yours I always try to do both :) Impractical for most but considering the cost of flights for me, its kind of a moot point, the longer I travel and the more I see, the better value the flight was.

As for the hasseled into buying things, if you are not used to repelling the 'in your face' selling style try this .... don't take too much cash out with you, if there is something you really want my research indicates that ATM's are often close by to the markets etc and you can go back for that special item but if you don't have the cash on you they tend to loose interest pretty quickly... at least this trick worked for me in China :)

RESEARCH IS KING!!!!

I have found that if I am well read about an area, I enjoy the experience more, I dont spend my day with my nose in a book or being baffeled by the surroundings and I am more likely to embrace a random opportunity as i feel more comfortable with the environment..... and as any traveller with tell you, its these left of center moments that are often the most memorable and amazing parts of the trip.

8. Re: Marrakesh or Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 05:16