We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

Michigan
8 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

I will be in Morocco from Dec 27 to Jan3. I want to visit Erg Chebbi and it looks like I will be there for New Years eve and possibly New Years Day. Can anyone tell my how New Years is celebrated in Morocco? Do the buses run? Would it be nicer to spend New Years in Merzouga or in Marrakech or Fez?

How do you rate taking a trip to Merzouga with Omar vs. going by bus and taking a camel trek through a hotel? Has anyone had experience taking a taxi from Marrakesh to Merzouga?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

TravelMom079

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

I was just in Merzouga yesterday (my sixth visit). If you like a really quiet New Year celebration then that is the place to be. There are, of course, no buses in Merzouga itself. If you are expecting a more "western" celebration then you most definitely will want to spend the time in Marrakech. It's not a huge holiday in Morocco, though it is observed. Remember that Morocco is an Islamic country and the Islamic calendar new year doesn't match up with the Gregorian calendar.

I certainly do not recommend bus or taxi to Merzouga. I would either rent a car and do it yourself or go as part of a group tour.

Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

Thanks for your advice! I have settled on renting a car.

I am curious about your comments about New Year's Eve. The kasbahs in Merzouga charge more for staying over 31-12 because of their New Year's Eve party. It looks like they have a special celebration--music, special dinner. They charge quite a bit more than a normal night. Do you know anything about this? We are not into crazy NYE celebrations.

Thanks!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

Well, it's very possible that they are doing that. In the past tourists have complained about lack of things to do on holidays. If the riad there has booked a large number of guests for that night then it's very possible they are doing something special. There are many riads in the Merzouga area so you can probably find one that isn't doing anything particularly special.

4. Re: Traveling to Morocco over New Year's, any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:18