We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

monihols
1 post
Save Topic
Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

Can anyone advise us re a company in UK who will offer car insurance cover for driving your own vehicle there?

We'll be driving our own landcruiser in Morocco in Dec-March and are having difficulty finding a UK insurance co. who will cover us.

Heard you can buy cover at the border - anyone know how much this is likely to cost and is it easy to arrange?

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

I think you should contact the British Tourism board and the Inssurance agency so they can provide you with the options --- but I think your car should be already covered , so you can drive it in the UK! I mean you can rely on the standard insurance that you already have.

If you are trying to get a double inssurance to cover the same car, you'll have to be sure that the first one doesn't cover the car out of the UK. and if it does, you'll be stuck between 2 cases, the other option is to buy a limited cover for the duration you are staying in Morocco,

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

I thought most European countries included coverage for Morocco if you added "international" coverage and acquired the "green card". Is Morocco specifically excluded on your green card? Insurance is available and required for driving in Morocco so you would want to be sure to have it before leaving the port area. In fact, I'm not for sure you can leave the port area as you have to show proof of insurance as you go through customs/immigration.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

What a interesting question you have posted. I automatically thought that it would only take a phone call to my insurance company if I ever decided that I would drive over to Morocco, which is extremely unlikely ever. Having said that I decided to check with my insurance company Aviva, I have been informed by them " that I need to give them each and every country I would be driving through plus Morocco, and yes, at an extra cost they would insure me, and provide the Green card, which I think the previous poster is correct in stating that you would not be allowed entry into Morocco without.

Hope that is of help to you

4. Re: Car insurance for driving own car in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:20