We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides in the Cities

Michigan
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Guides in the Cities

We're planning a trip to Morocco in June. We're torn between doing a full-scale organized tour by a company in the US that will handle everything (hotels/riads, guides etc.) , or handling the cities (Marrakech and Fes) ourselves and just using a tour company for the Sahara.

My question is, does anyone have a recommendation about which way to go?

Also, is it difficult to get from city to city, or around cities, Morocco without a guide?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides in the Cities

I I see that no one has responded, so I will jump in with a reply.

I went to Morocco with a friend in November/December 2009 for a 14 day tour. We liked our guide so much that we asked him if we could add 2 more days to the end of our trip (with him).

The biggest issue for us was the the arranging of the tours, riads, locating decent restaurants, etc. as well as the driving. It was wonderful to have a trustworthy and knowledgeable individual do this for us! It meant that the trip was quite hassle free, and we had more time just to enjoy.

While it is certainly possible to do all parts or some parts of a trip without a guide, I do think a guide is valuable - especially if the language, customs and culture are very different from yours. Also, as I have mentioned in other posts, driving between cities did not seem to be difficult as the highways were good and not very busy (at least by Northamerican standards). Driving in the cities, however made me cringe (and I wasn't even driving!) Marrakesh in particular is crazy -mopeds, cars moving at breakneck speed.

These are just things to consider.

Also - I suggest that you find someone who is local. You do not need to join an American/Canadian or european tour group. We had a private tour for not much more than the price of a group tour.

If you would like to know anything about our trip, just send me an e-mail. Others on this forum helped me quite a bit, so now it's my turn!

Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides in the Cities

This probably a bit late for your June trip but others will read this. I cant agree more with Ottowagal62. My wife and I used a local guide and driver in April this year to take us from Fes to Marrakech via the Sahara. His knowledge of the area (he is a local Berber) and of the countries culture and history made the trip so much more valuable. We got to visit his home and see how local people live. He spoke good English and had a good sense of humour. He organised all the accomodation (which was 1st class) and the whole trip went without a hitch.

So if anyone is looking for a good guide then look up Hassan at 'Under-the-Moroccon-Sun' tours. He has a website and replies to emails promptly.

3. Re: Guides in the Cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:15