We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giro di Morocco

here and now
8 posts
Save Topic
Giro di Morocco

Hi

only one question for experts

is it enough 9 days for trip

Tangir – Fes – Merzouga – Todra Gorge – Marrakesh – Tangir

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giro di Morocco

Hi, sorry, it is not enough, for such trip you need to have at least 14 days or more because you will go back to Tangier. Try to find some other trip for this days. Maybe Tangier - Fes - Merzouga - Todra Gorges and back to Tangier - but anyway it would be tight.

here and now
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Giro di Morocco

booked a plane to Tangier and back from Tangier allready.

And the target is to go to Merzouga. Do you recomend than to skip Fes and go directy to Merzouga? Which is the best way to do it? Was planing to go with train to Fes and from Fes by bus to Merzouga. From Merzouga to Er Rachidia then throu Quarzazate to Marrakech, catch the night train to Tangier.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giro di Morocco

OK, if you skip Fes and go by train from Tangier to Fes but directly by night bus to Merzouga, it take 2 days, I don´t know which time you can start, so I suppose 2 days. Then in Erg Chebbi almost 3 nights if it is the targed of your trip. Then to Todra Gorges 1 day trip by bus. Next day to Marrakech via Ouarzazate. How many days is still for to see Marrakech? It will be tight, but it is your trip. If you have hurry you will miss to explore the country, if I am honest. But...

Maybe some other here on forum will have better advice than me, I don´t know.

here and now
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Giro di Morocco

Train from Tangier 11:00 arriving to Fes at 15:40

here and now
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Giro di Morocco

maybe better solution go first day from Tangier to Marrakesh by train, then from there to Merzouga and back?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giro di Morocco

but, if he take train to Fes and are there 15.40, he can continue the same evening to Merzouga there he is at morning, so it take not 2 days as I thought.

Then after visiting Erg Chebbi take a bus from Rissani or Erfoud to Tinerhir for to look to Todra Gorges and next day by some bus to Marrakech, so it can go. Fast but it is possible to see a little of the country anyway.And the to Tangier.

In my eyes it is the same to take first train to Marrakech and go back via Erg Chebbi or oposite.

here and now
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Giro di Morocco

one more question...

do you know some nice (budget) places where to stay in Merzouga (or nearby – maybe in Khamlia :) ) and some tips regarding camel trip to the sand dunes.

thanks

Edited: 09 April 2010, 06:46
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giro di Morocco

yes in Khamlia village there it is not much tourists only locals. You can stay overnight there (choice between a bigger hotel Nomad palace or one little guesthouse Dar el Khamlia). Both can arrange for you camel trek in the sand dunes with overnight there in one little oasis. Khamlia is good place you have there also the famous music group Gnawa.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giro di Morocco

Leave Tangier immediately as there is nothing there to see really. The rest of the schedule is doable. DO NOT stay three nights in Erg Chebbi. The only thing to see there is the overnight in the dunes. I have done it 5 times. Arrive there in the early afternoon, go on the ride and overnight, and leave the next morning. There are more interesting places on your schedule to do things than Erg Chebbi (other than the overnight which is super).

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giro di Morocco

Hi morocco_travel I am sorry and I am not agree with you at all.

In Erg Chebbi there are not only the sand dunes. There is to visit and see so many other things as for example:

the mineral mines, the fossils in nature, to go to salt Saharan lake Dayet Sriji and flamingo, to listen to Gnawa music, to meet local people there, to visit nomad family behind the dunes, to go to mountain there, to see old French village. To feel the desert, birds, camels to take a bath in the lake and so on.

There is so much to do and learn so it is not justified to say that in Erg Chebbi is not more to do than to spend the night in the sand dunes. I know so many people who stayed there longer time than they wanted to stay in the beginning because it was so much to see and do.