We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Iphone in Morocco

nyc
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
US Iphone in Morocco

Do Iphones (w AT&T service) work in Morocco? Since we need to communicate with a family member who will be in another area of Morocco, what is the best cell phone option for a short stay? We have an Iphone -- but don't know if it will work there.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

Your iPhone will work fine in Morocco but the cost from AT&T is outrageously expensive. I do not recommend you use it in country. I have one and keep it in airplane mode while in Morocco. Your best option is to buy a local SIM card and cheap telephone and use them in Morocco. You can buy both for the cost of a short telephone call using your iPhone and AT&T.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

We used the Iphone only when we had a wireless connection. Several riads had wireless connections so we did ok with this method. I also had a Verizon international phone with me and calls were very expensive but it functioned. Texts were cheaper.

I will say blackberries do not work at all. There is no data service they can tap into in Morocco.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

Re: TallulahB...

No Blackberry? Were you using Verizon or ATT blackberry?

I think a Verizon blackberry would not work internationally for data based on the frequency/technology they employ..

However, an ATT/Rogers/T-Mobile Blackberry I would have expected to work. (as GPRS/Edge/3g is more compatable with international standards)

Can you confirm what model Blackberry you were using and what carrier?

I've grown accustomed to being able to keep up on work while on vacation..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

I was using a T-Mobile Blackberry Tour. I don't use the phone on it. Just use the data service for my job. And by golly it did not work at all.

I spoke to T-Mobile tech support in Kansas while I was in Morocco (on my Verizon phone) and they said there was no data service in the country so there was nothing they could do.

It was really bad because I had been told by my tech dept it would work and I didn't tell anyone at my job I would be unreachable.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

Probably threadjacking and going a bit off-topic here, but does the Tour have Wifi? If you're hotel/riad had wi-fi, could you access the blackberry servers through the wi-fi connection?

Mentioned in this post
Le Riad Restaurant
Le Riad Restaurant
120 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

Can you buy a calling card in Morocco to call the USA? What does a call cost?

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

I was thinking of buying an international phone here in the states and just buying sim cards at the places I am traveling to. Two years ago I did this with an International GPS NOKIA ($900.))) and it worked for the phone. I never figured out the gps so I found that not a help. I traveled 10 countries and never lost my way too bad. I haven't figure out my plan for my november 2010 trip. I sold the phone on Ebay right when I got home.

8. Re: US Iphone in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:18