We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

Detroit
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

We plan to hire a guide for one day in Fes and one day in Marrakesh to take us around the city/sights/medina. We were planning in each case to find a guide through our riad.

But I don't know if we should arrange for the guide in advance or once we get there. It seems safer to arrange in advance but presumably more expensive to get that kind of advance committment. If there's easy access to guides at their disposal, I'd rather wait until we arrive. What do you recommend?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

Hi,

If possible I would suggest you don't use a guide in Marrakech. It's not too hard to find your way about if you have a decent map and your Riad explains easy ways to get where you want to go.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

I agree with shimmin.

You don't NEED a guide in Marrakech, but I would recommend one for Fes. There are lots of guides around. I think you'd be fine to wait until you get there, and just ask your riad to set you up on-site.

Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

No need for guide in Marrakech. Definately need one in Fes - the city is a maze. Riad can get you guide very easy - lots of guides around so don't worry about finding one. We enjoyed our guide in Fes, he was great and spoke perfect English. His name is Ahmed Bousfiha and his email is medinatours@yahoo.com. His mobile number is 061-35-72-56. He spent the day with us and was a great guide.

I just returned from a two week trip to Morocco and posted it on Trip Advisor forums. Email me if you have any other questions. Here is the link to my trip report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k360…

4. Re: Arrange for riad's guide in advance or wait till we arrive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 05:16