We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

Detroit
Level Contributor
600 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

We have taken advice from so many here and have hired Omar from Camel Trek for a desert tour. I have heard that there is some good shopping in that area of the desert, like for rugs or fossils. For example, I've heard Erfoud has lots of cool fossils and I also saw a video with cool fossils for sale at shop in a small town on the way.

But Omar says on his website that he promises not to take us carpet shopping! Does he stop anywhere along the way that has any shops?

Barcelona
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

I don't think he would mind taking you to shops! Why dont you let him answer your question?

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

If you have him exclusively and you are not part of a group then he will do whatever you ask (you are paying). If you are part of a group, you will have to negotiate with all the other group members to see if they want to do what you want to do since they are all paying. Clear this up before you get there!

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

If Omar promises on his website that he will not take you shopping, that means only, that he will not pushing you to go shopping like some of the agencies, driver and guides do in Morocco.

He (and EVERY guide, driver, or agency) will be delighted to help you do your shopping because they get a good commission from the shops. You will make them very happy!

And if you do the shopping in cooperatives and in small shops not ONLY in the big ones, you support the great Moroccan handicraft culture and the modest country people who put all their heart into their craft.

Happy shopping in Morocco.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

Getting a commission is worldwide rule, i don't think why some posters disagree with this purpose, Clients are always free to shop where they want and they have to negotiate as all Moroccans do but they should put in their minds that the commission is paid by the merchant.

Edited: 23 May 2010, 16:00
5. Re: Is Omar from Camel Trek going to let us shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 05:15