We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Unfortunately, the Royal Air Maroc flights from CMN to Ouarzazate leave at midnight and don't arrive until after 1:30am which would be brutal for Americans like us trying to acclimate to a new time zone.

We are considering hiring a car/driver from Casablanca to Dar Ahlam in Ouarzazate. How long would this drive be in May? I've read anywhere from 7+ hours to over 10 or 11? How are the roads?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Sounds like you need a map: www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/morocco-155913/

With stops maybe eight hours.

Casa to M'kech is about 250km on modern smooth motorway. Speed limit is 120kph so probably two and a half to three hours.

M'kech to O'zate incorporates a major pass over the High Atlas mountains with many hairpin bends. Buses take five hours including a stop, so in a car without stops you can probably reckon on three and a half to four hours in daylight, longer at night.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 15:40
East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Excellent post there from Tim!

As a word of caution: It is widely recommended NOT to drive at night in Morocco; whether yourself, or with someone else behind the wheel. There is the potnetial for unlit vehicles, animals, poor road conditions, etc. in the dark. Let "do what thou wilt" be the whole of the law, but all told, it's probably safer to drive during daylight hours.

Have a safe and happy trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Thank you, guys. Yes, we would leave in the morning and arrive before dark.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

I drive this regularly. I always count on 3 hours from Casablanca to Marrakech on the toll road (it usually takes between 2 and 2 1/2 depending on traffic conditions, weather conditions, and who is driving), and I count on 4 hours from Marrakech to Ouarzazate over the mountains. I've never driven it in less than 4 hours as the road is less than great. I drove it once in the winter in the snow and it took me 6 hours. I am going to post a short video of the road over the mountains that I recently shot. I can let you know when it is posted if you want to see it.

atlantic beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Hi

My husband and I are having the same issue in meeting up with a bike tour which begins in Ouarzazate, and thanks to your quesiton and the kind replies, I am now going to get a car service (Amex travel tours has one they like) to pick us up after flying Fla to Paris to Casablance, and then drive to Ouarzazate. After reading the replies to your question, I think we will arrive there before those late night flights have even boarded! I would rather be in the car moving forward than sitting in the Casablanca airport for so many hours. thanks to all...

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

Hi there and welcome to Morocco,

Dar Ahlam is in Skoura valley, an other 45mn east of Ouarzazat, so don't forget to let your driver know about it. as for your question, the drive from Casablanca to Marrakech takes bout 3hours plus an other 3hours to Ouarzazat and 1hour to Dar Ahlam. that's about 8hours more or less with one or 2stops over the high Atlas mountains.

enjoy Dar Ahlam and Morocco.

AMT

7. Re: How long is the drive REALLY from Casablanca to Ouarzazate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 05:17