We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
943 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

I plan to go to Erg Chebbi in January. I don't have a big driving experience - I drive only USA country side roads and almost never go on big roads. What I can expect from driving in Morocco on that particular segment of road? What kind of weather is in January there? I hope no snowing there...

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Moroccan roads are 2 lanes, to get to Ouarzazate from Marrakech you drive through the High Altas Mt, which s very treacherous,

You will be ok as long as you are used to driving shift gear type,

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
943 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Treacherous? What does it mean? What i should expect in Atlas Mt?

I drive only automatic kind of car...

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Simply dangerous. Google Tizi N tichka pass for a clearer idea.

cheers

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Hi,

The drive from Marrakech to Ouarzazate isn't really "bad" in good weather, in my opinion if you have experience with this kind of road...Yes, you will need to cross over the High Atlas Mtns via the Tizi n Tichka Pass, which is narrow with many blind turns and drop-off's right off the road...But given that you mention that you are not experienced/ confident on narrow, mountain roads, or have experience with driving mountain roads in potentially poor, winter weather, PLUS don't drive manual transmission (which 99.9% of rental cars in Morocco are)...Perhaps you should leave the driving to someone else for this trip and save your nerves?

Also, driving in/out of Marrakech can be a real pain too...

You could take a very affordable bus (www.oncf.ma) or hire a car & driver from Marrakech. It's around a 4.5 hours drive in good weather. (inch'allah)

cheers

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
943 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

tizi0001,

thank you for a google idea. I went to youtube and found videos with that road. OMG for winter time with snow, but in a good weather the road looks ok. I have had only one mount driving experience in Costa Rico. People drove crazy there.

is in Atlas Mt a lot of snow in January?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

You re welcome,

It happens when the road get unpassable for a half day or day, however, it gets cleaned quickly though,

cheers

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
943 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

tizi, how the road get clean quickly? does the sun melt it?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
611 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

Snow plow trucks.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

so much easier and safer to hire a driver and car. so easy , not very expensive. that road was one of the windest that i have ever been on, and i live in the mountains!!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Marrakesh-Ouarzazate in January

There will probably be some snow on the road that time of year. It is difficult to say now. It will be VERY DIFFICULT for you to find an automatic transmission car for rent. They are available, but very few and not easy to find. I would take a bus or grand taxi and avoid the drive.