We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 8 Days in March

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 8 Days in March

We're planning to be in Morocco for 8 days in late March. We're hoping to spend some time in Marrakech, Fez and Rabbat and would love a night under the stars in the desert. Any ideas for how we could do all of this without being overwhelmed with travel? (We're 2 adults and 2 teenage boys).

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 8 Days in March

Two nights in Fes.

A day of travel with an overnight in the sand dunes of Erg Chebbi (Merzouga).

A night in between Merzouga and Marrakech (I suggest either Kelaa M'Gouna, Skoura, or Ait Benhaddou).

Three nights in Marrakech, or two if you have an early flight out of Casa and you need to overnight there (I'd avoid if possible).

You'll need a car to make this doable, with a driver or without if you feel comfortable driving.

Distances: Casa to Fes-3.5 hrs via toll road (Autoroute).

Fes-Merzouga: about 7 hours.

Merzouga-Ait Benhaddou- Around 4 hours.

Ait-Benhaddou-Marrakech: 4 hours.

Marrakech-Casa: 2 hrs.

You'll notice that I've left out Rabat. Fantastic city for those with more time, which you don't really have to make all the other stops doable. Highlights of a visit to Morocco are by far Fes, the desert and Marrakech (IMO in that order!)

Most people do the circuit this way, but you might also consider doing it counter-clockwise, i.e. starting in 'Kech and ending in Fes. Personally I think people who save Fes for last appreciate it the most.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 8 Days in March

These are great suggestions. Thanks so much. One other question, what about travel by train rather than car -- is that possible? enjoyable?

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 8 Days in March

An excellent post from chano there...

You can take the train between Fes-Casa-Marrakech, but it does not run to the desert (Merzouga), so you'll need either a car or bus if you want to go to the desert. The train is very affordable and a great option for getting to Fes/Marrakech as driving yourself around these cities is not recommended.

cheers

4. Re: Advice for 8 Days in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 06:25