We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go!

chester
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go!

We are hoping to book 1 weeks holiday to Morroco at the beginning of March. Agadir or Marrakech? We are 2 couples in our sixties we would like some sun and be able to see some culture etc. Is it safe to walk around without a guide? We have visited Tunisia and did not feel so comfortable. Are tummy upsets a problem? Do you need any injections? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Agadir
Agadir
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
merzouga
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go!

Hi Dear friend ,

you are welcome to Morocco first .

no worry whilst you will be in Morocco because you are in safe hands like they say .it has the lowest crimes in the world .so , be sure you will enjoy the Morocan culture and sun with history as well .

you may walk by yourself no problem . Morocco is like one European countries or the western in general without specific examples .

welcome to Morocco again .

and if there is any other question just drop it . we are happy to tip you .

best regards .

Youss

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go!

Hi,

If you are looking for culture you should come to Marrakech (Agadir is a purpose built tourist resort). I personally don't think you need a guide in Marrakech and generally it is a safe city for tourists (there is a dedicated tourist police brigade in the medina). Tummy upsets - some get one and many don't. Check with your doctor about injections.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Agadir
Agadir
Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go!

Each is different. If you go to Agadir you would need to take trips out (best by hire car) for culture but as I am not a city girl I do not like Marrakesh for more than a couple of days at a time. Either is very safe. I have only once had a tummy upset and we passed it round all of us. It was after we eaten at a posh hotel, which is like the only time I had a tummy upset in Egypt. Take the usual precautions of freshly prepared food at places which clearly have a turnover. The water is safe but the mineral content is different to home and can cause upsets so bottled water is best on a short trip. The temperature will be lovely not too hot but a swimming pool would be best if heated as the water takes a while to heat up.

Mentioned in this post
Agadir
Agadir
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go!

Hi

If you were open to other places than just those two I'm not sure on others thoughts but the little bit I saw of Fes it seemed a good alternative to Marrakech, where you are still able to take trips out and see places if you wanted to, including a shorter drive to Merzouga if you fancied the desert.

Have a good holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go!

You could consider having Marrakech as your "base". It is safe city, as Morocco generally is. Your culture hunger can be filled there. Plenty to see. From there you can take day-trips for the surrounding areas, or hop on a bus or take a grand taxi (shared taxi) to Essaouria, or Agadir or further south. To see the sea.

Tummy upsets can happen anywhere, wash/peel fruit prior to eating. Wash your hands frequently. Nothing ever happened to my stomach in Marrakech and have been there plenty of times. Perhaps you better stick to bottled water, as your system not used to the local water.

Injection wise, at the moment as far as I know, there is no compulsory need, check with your doctor.

Am sure you will enjoy your stay in this magnificent country.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Agadir
Agadir
6. Re: Where to go!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 07:32