We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Pingtung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Hi,

My partner (from Taiwan) recently went to the Moroccan Consulate in London to apply for a Tourist Visa. Just got his passport back today saying the visa had been rejected, without any explanation!!! We've checked repeatedly the list of documentations required on their website and am certain that he's got all of them!

However when we try to find out why he was rejected one, staff their were very unhelpful and offered no help at all. In fact, we've had unpleasant experience in their embassy... but thats another story in itself!

Does anyone had any problem when apply for visa? I know most European passport holder would not need a visa. We're just not sure what to do now!! The people from the Consulate say he can apply again next week, but it seems a bit pointless unless we know WHY he got rejected!

Any suggestions would be great!!! THANKS!!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
214 replies to this topic
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

didn't need one from the US..wonder why your partner is having trouble.

Pingtung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

I'm wondering why too! He's never had any problem applying for tourist visa anywhere else (I've done a lot of tourist visa application for him as a lot of countries require Taiwan passport holder for a visa, luckily not anymore!! ). We'll probably gather more documents than suggested on their website to see if he gets one next week.

My only concern is having been rejected a tourist visa once, they might have it in the record and would be more difficult to apply again! Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks charley48 for your post anyway!

WilliamBR
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

I too had a very bad experience with the visa department. They are like you say very unhelpful. On one had they advertise for people to visit morroco and on the other make it as difficult as possible. My partner is Malaysian. We got the visa in the end on the second attempt. This was with a bank statement (which it doesn't talk about on the website) - although they don't say how much money you need to have in the account. In the end I wrote to the London ambassador to complain - needless to say had no reply. Puts a very bad taste in the mouth...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Have heard of similar experiences of Taiwanse ( Had difficulties getting visas to enter Morocco) both in Canada and US, understand thats downright unacceptable, as the authorities here advertise and encourage tourists to travel to Morocco, my advise is to re-apply & follow the process closely, if possible, show up personally at the Moroccan consulate, and address your case to higher office, since regular staffs are loose..

Good luck.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pingtung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Update regarding Morocco Tourist Visa.

I had to apply for 4 people, 3 Taiwanese and 1 from Malaysia. Fortunately my Malaysian friend managed to get one, and yes you do need a bank statement and 3 months pay slips, which only added onto their website AFTER we turned up and demanding WHY it isn't on the website. In fact, they would tell you to turn up between 9am to 11am for visa application, both on their website and on their voicemail. NOT TRUE!! I was rejected into the Consulate on my first visit because they said they only receive visa application between 9am to 10am!!! There were 6 people all standing in their hallway, being refuse into the consulate to apply for a visa. Absolutely NO USE when trying to explain to them, even showing them the website LIVE on a laptop.

Regarding Taiwanese applying for Morocco visa. The latest update is that they have a change in policies. Certain countries, including Taiwan, will now wait up to 4 weeks for the application to be approved and authorized by the Morocco Ministry. I only managed to get this information AFTER calling them EVERYDAY and tried all their options on their phone (no point trying option 2 - visa department as they DO NOT answer their phone). I submitted my partner's application on 3rd Feb, still no news whatsoever.

I can understand that they might need to obtain authorization from their government and cannot give us an answer on when will the visa be ready. But I think we as visa applicants should have a right to know, right?!? If it will now take 2-4 weeks, PLEASE at least put it somewhere on their website or advise people when we submit. I agree with WilliamBR and tizi0001, they are just turning people AWAY from visiting Morocco! I still hope that they will get the visa and we can go to Morocco this year, but if he gets rejected again, it just seems pointless for us to reapply again after spending so much time going to the consulate ourselves (we went 5 times in total!!) and calling them non-stop.

I have considered making a formal complain regarding their customer service, I'm just not sure this will be affective at all! When I demanded on our 1st visit to speak to the manager (this is because of their opening times for visa application), they simply dismiss our request saying there isn't a manager. When we refuse to leave until we can speak to someone regarding our situation, he even told us we are welcome to stay till next morning!!! Absolutely ridiculous. Not even an apology. This makes me think is this how Morocco people work? If so, I just don't know where should I file my complain.

I certainly hope this doesn't diver people from visiting Morocco. I am sure it will be the country itself is beautiful and worth visiting. Although I would be interested to see if anyone else are having problem with applying for the visa!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

OMG! Now having seen all these discussions, I'm a bit worried of applying one myself! I'm going to hitch hike to Morocco this coming Easter, that will even make things even more complicated! I'm a Malaysian passport holder, how did your Malaysian friend obtain the visa in the end? Please advise!!!!! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pingtung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Hi adelinezephyr

I think you don't have to worry too much if you have a Malaysian passport. The staff there told me because Malaysia government allow Morocco passport holder to enter Malaysia without a visa, the process will be less strict. That means they can complete the whole visa process in-house in their London Consulate. So as long as you provide all the documentations on their website I'm sure there will be no problem! My Malaysian friend managed to get his Morocco Tourist Visa within 4 days of submitting the application! You can definitely ask someone to submit your application for you, as well as pick it up from the Consulate on the day they requested you to come.

However I have never applied for visa while hitch hiking so I cannot tell you more regarding this situation.

This information was obtain 2 weeks ago, before Morocco having any protest. Not sure if they will tighten their visa application or is it even safe to go in this current climate.

Hope this will help! And certainly don't let the visa application process stop you from visiting! Good luck!!!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

OK. Thanks so much! Your post has definitely calmed me down. By the way did your friend pre-book the accommodation for his/her entire stay in Morocco? I have only booked one night's accommodation as I will have no idea where I will be throughout my journey. I tried calling the visa department, managed to speak to the receptionist but I did not have the chance to talk to the visa officer as they never picked up my call no matter how many times I called and waited! Visa is definitely a torture! :(

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pingtung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

Suddenly had a thought regarding booking accommodation in Morocco for visa purpose. Often the consulate will advise you NOT to book any travel or accommodation arrangements UNTIL you get your visa. So I have asked around and people have suggested me to go into any travel agents (like Thomas cook or any other high street ones) and ask for a provisional flights and accommodation itinerary, e.g. ask for a quote for a return flight for your propose travel date, as well as hotel reservation for the city you fly in. They can also put your name on this, ask them to print it out (say you will need to think about it) and bring this to the Consulate!!

Usually the short term visa will last for 1 month, starting on the date you write on the 'entry date' on the application form. Hopefully this will help! Nonetheless, good luck and I'm sure you will have an amazing trip!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!

LOL! thats ingenius! haha..hopefully the staff wont be suspicious of anything! Thanks a lot for the advice!!!! :)

Reply to: Anybody having trouble obtaining Moroccan Tourist Visa?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted