We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
78 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

My husband and I recently returned from Morocco. We are seasoned independent travellers. However, many of our American friends thought we were nuts to consider going to a country perceived to be in turmoil akin to Libya, Egypt and Tunisia. As it was our first trip to Morocco, there were many suggestions that we got from this Board were helpful. I'd like to share some of our "tips" in the hope that we may help others thinking of vacationing in Morocco.

#1: Morocco is a beautiful, welcoming and SAFE country for Americans. While the TA destination experts have addressed this, there is a great misperception by many Americans that Morocco is so close to Libya and Egypt that the turmoil in these countries bleeds over into Morocco. Not so. We found that Americans were warmly accepted in the cities and the villages. Are we are walking wallet?. Well, Morocco is a country dependent, in large part, on tourism and it is not unusual that a country with a lesser standard of living would like to have tourists spend their money. So, in part, perhaps yes. However, this is no different than many smaller countries. The overriding factor is that Morocco is a diverse and beautiful country, and we found the people to be very kind. Also, it is not all a desert. We were surprised, traveling around the country, to find lush green areas with waterfalls, Mountains with snow caps, and red mountains of sand in the desert. It is beautiful. You will not regret deciding to travel to Morocco.,

#2 How to travel when in Morocco? Initially, we found a cheap non-stop from JFK New York to Casablanca. Although we are not tour people, I read the board, knew I wanted to see a lot of Morocco in a relatively short period of time, and thought I might have difficulty navigating with signs in Arabic or French. We opted to hire a private guide,- and that was the best decision we made. After reading TA exhaustively, I settled on Around Morocco Travels. The owner, Lahcen Boujouija, worked with me to customize an itinerary. He has a degree in American Literature and spend time in the US each year,- so he speaks English well and "gets" Americans. He was nothing short of amazing...This company made sure that we experienced the real Morocco,- taking guests to baby's Christenings in their villages, as well as providing reasonably priced, but terrific accomodations. We spent a lot of time travelling with Lahcen, and my husband and I would pack up tomorrow and do it again. If you are just going to the beach, perhaps you can do it on your own. However, if your intent is to see as much of Morocco as you can, you should seriously consider hiring a driver, or a private tour guide. It isn't that expensive, and our experience with Around Morocco Travels made our trip something truly special.

#3Where to stay- hotel vs. riad. I guess, to a large extent, this might be personal preference. However, we chose the Riad route (kinda like bed and breakfasts in historic houses) and never regretted it. The cost is often less than a hotel and you get to meet and know the Moroccans running the Riads. It is much more personal. Our favorite Riad was in Fes called Riad Yacout. It was a lovely place, made all the more special by a caring staff. Its location at the edge of the medina was also perfect. In Marrakech we stayed in Riad Rives D'Orient,- again, great location and wonderful staff. Our next to the last night they had a small band and belly dancers. It was truly memorable.

#4 The Food: Wow- a big surprise. We are "foodies" and loved it. The mint tea, and the ceremony of pouring the tea, was calming and special. When you eat at a restaurant, the salad course is between 4-8 small different cooked salads. And the tangines and cous cous.... we really enjoyed them. Our absolute favorite meal was in Marrakech at Gastro MK at Maison MK. Totally amazing. There are only 5-6 tables. You start with drinks on the roof overlooking Marrakech, and have dinner in their small dining room. The food was amazing, and we will be back. We also enjoyed the lemon chicken tangine at Riad Yacout. In all, there were no worries about the food,- and as long as you drink bottled water and stay away from food washed in local water and not cooked, you should be ok.

#5 Shopping, Rugs and all that stuff. OK,=- I am a confessed shopper, and I negotiate for a living,- so I enjoyed Morocco. However, for Americans, there are a few rules of the road that you need to know. First, you are expected to negotiate/haggle, unless you choose to go to a government store. That's just the way it is. So, decide whether you feel comfortable negotiating,- and if you do buy in the souks, watch them put the item you've bought int the bag. Just as in China, some (not all..) of the vendors tried to switch items and give me a ripped pouf instead of the one I chose. Fortunately, I knew the game from China and I insisted on the item being removed from the bag so I could inspect (and found!) the switch. Second, DO NOT express interest in something if you don't want to buy it. This is opposite of what we usually do= nicely complimenting a shopkeeper on his wares to be polite. Not in Morocco. I think that was one of the few times that my guide was really annoyed with us... and it's just a cultural difference. Finally shipping big things... the jury for me is still out on that one. I will update when I know whether we receive what we paid for. We bought rugs and a table and are having them shipped. Were the prices good? Well, I think so,--- but I also know that it would have been far less if I were Moroccan... C'est la vie. There has been a shipping hiccup after our departure,- but this is where our guide became a lifesaver and has attempted to sort it out. He is really a stand up guy, and after a week we believe that he is part of our family.... 2 blondes and a dark haired Moroccan :) .... And one final thing,= Argan oil. I wanted it and TA said that there was a place in Marrakech that was inexpensive (compared to the cooperatives) and had great product. This is true. I bought some from the cooperative and then also at Herboristerie Firdaous in Marrakech. MUCH better (pure, quality) and far less expensive in Marrakech... so ignore the cooperatives and head to Herboristerie Firdaous. TA forum has great directions to locate it and it is worth the time to go there.

#6 Cultural Hiccups.... OK, so what we were surprised about is the cultural expectation that you tip everyone. It isn't a lot,- but it is very different from the US in terms of the number of people you tip. Initially we were wary of the practice... were we just doing this when others were not? I don't think so . There may have been differences in the amounts tipped,- but culturally it is an expectation, and by the end of our trip, we understood that even a person who watched your car got a small tip for making sure no one came near to scratch it... Also, as a working woman, I was uncomfortable with how Moroccan women were perceived ... particularly in the smaller villages. It is, in many respects, a difficult life given the cultural limitations on women. We spoke at length about the lives of Moroccan women and had the chance to meet some of them in their homes. They seemed satisfied but clearly, their lives are very different from the mens. I had to work hard not to impose my expectations and value judgements on how the women live there. The dichotomy of the Moroccan men respecting their wives but also limiting their opportunities or even the ability not to stand behind a wall and see the imam in the mosque was puzzling. In this respect there is a significant cultural divide... and it was challenging to attempt to understand this culture.

In sum, would we go back?? TOMORROW... we loved the country, we loved our guide, and we loved experiencing the different culture. We hope that we are able to remain connected to those Moroccans who became our friends,- and hope that, God willing, they will be able to come to visit us. Should you go to Morocco?? I unequivocably suggest the answer is yes. It is an amazing, safe and beautiful country. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Hi,

Fab report. I'm sure it will help many prospective American (and other) visitors. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Thank you, an excellent and balanced commentary, I hope lots of people read it!

Weston, CT
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Marigot,

What a great report. You were able to express so much of what I wanted to say when I returned. You paint a beautiful and clear picture of this wonderful country. I wholeheartedly agree with hiring a guide. We too used Around Morocco and found them to be wonderful. I am returning this summer and am so excited to see my friends from Around Morocco.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

B

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

soo glad that you enjoyed the country that i love so much...our friends said before we left..."why would you go to MOrocco.." because we can, and so glad that THEY weren't there with us. you have to be open, be lucky that you can travel and just for the zen...right now, experience.

USA
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Thank you! So glad I saw your report. I am going to share it with the rest of my family - lots of good information.

6. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 15:36
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

So how was shipping back to the States? And did you think it might have a lot cheeper by sending the packages from the Spanish territories( an EU country) ?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
78 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Shippng was a leap of faith that worked out. We shippped a large, ornate coffee table, 2 rugs, and assorted pillow cases etc. The shop in Marrakech that had our table offered to include one of the rugs we purchased. I was hesitant, as once I left, they had my money and I was far away- but our guide was great in following up and insuring that everything went smoothly. It cost us a couple hundred dollars to ship- but the table was big and heavy, with inlaid camel bone, silver, coral and tuquoise and a glass top. In addition it had a12 foot rug tucked in it. Nothing broke and nothing was missing.

As for mailing from an EU country, I would have no idea. We met many people who shipped their rugs back with their luggage,- but for us, that was not possible (Table too large.) Hope this helps

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Thank you Marigot1 you have really given a very helpful notes to our guests here, as your travel tips will help us as well to know about shipping, and exploring things that we do not know, you have participated with a good tips which will help our forum so much to be rich and helpful to every single traveller heading up here.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel To Morocco? Some suggestions for a memorable trip

Thanks for all your tips. I hope we get as much pleasure from our trip.

Iman