We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

I am planning my trip to Morocco--arrive in Marrakesh July 1 and have 10-12 days ( then ferry to Spain). I have 2 days planned in Kesh then to the desert. Originally I had planned to go to Fes then perhaps Chefouchen (sp) but after reading forums for the past two weeks I'm thinking maybe too hot in Fes and crowded and thought I'd check out the Atlantic coast after my desert touristy experience. I thought of Essouria but wondered if there are other further north pleasant beach communities that also have lovely Moroccan culture and sites as it seems that Ess has. Some have recommended Agadir but the books make it sound like all new development etc.

Is Mekenes a good alternative to Fez, how about Midelt I've heard it mentioned a few times on this board. I was attracted to Fez because of what the books say, but also because a cooking school there was recommended to me. I am also interested in taking a vegetarian one day cooking course if anyone has recommendations for a town etc and place

And last question. I was checking into renting a car for a few days from Marrakesh to the desert and dropping it off at another site but it was triple the price to drop off elsewhere--does anyone know of any car rental places in Marra that don't charge extra fro dropping off in another city.

ps moderate to budget traveling style

Thank you for your assistance

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

2 days Marrakech

3 days Marrakech to Fez via dessert

2 days Fes.

Of course it will be hot in Fez in July but no more so than Marrakech and the Desert. Indeed Fez bit a bit further north will probably be a couple of degrees cooler than Marrakech in the south.

Remainder of time possibly in Asilah a town with an old medina and beach just 1 hour south of Tanger. You can get the train direct from Fez to Asilah.

As Ramadan is in August this year the seaside towns will be extra full during July.

Don't bother with Meknes if you time is tight.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

thanks for your repl,y very helpful in making decisions. I'll investigate Asilah a little more

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

Asilah is a great idea. You will enjoy it there.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

Definitely don't miss Fes, especially the medina area. I was in Fes last year for about 4 days and again in May of this year from Sunday evening to Friday morning. It's wonderful and there is lots to see.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

So I decided after desert to try for Chefouchen then to Asilah or La Jadida for beach for 3 days or so.

WIll report after trip thanks for your ithoughts

6. Re: Morocco Coast or Fes and ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:20