We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

My friend and I will be traveling in Spain & Portugal next spring. We plan to spend a few days in Morocco, will definitely go to Fes. Question is should we also spend time in Tangier or would our time be better spent just in Fes?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
1. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2011, 17:13
Villanueva de la...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

i like the old medina in fes and why not meknes volubulis if you have time .

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Hi Portland!

When we visited Morocco our first time, we had just five days. We traveled in our own rental car.

Since we overnighted in Fes, we had the evening before and the morning and early afternoon of the next day there. We found it enough for a wonderful taste of the ancient city.

I saw where one writer believes that a minimum of three days is needed. Alas, most of us don't really have such an abundance of time that we can take three days to see one city, even one as steeped in the past as you'll find Fes. If you indeed wanted to explore every nook and cranny, poke around in every shop and tannery, and be led on a tour through each one of the carpet factory outlets, it might well take you three days. For us, though, I think we would have regarded such an itinerary as overkill.

Those extra days you'd spend retracing your steps around the Fes walled city market, charming and evocative though it is, I'd spend on a trip over the Atlas mountains and perhaps even down to a Sahara oasis. Or maybe to Rabat.

Whichever you choose, don't squander a single one of your precious hours in Tangier. Tangier is overrun with day-tripping tourists from Europe. It still has its bazaar, but after you've seen the real thing in Fes, the touristy version in Tangier is going to seem hollow in comparison.

If you must pass through a border town on your way to Fes, make it Tetouan, not Tangier. Tetouan is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its genuinely ancient market, where the wares are brought in on burros. I've seen both, and I can tell you that arriving in Tetouan from Ceuta truly felt like traveling back in time 500 years. As gently as I can put it, I did not get this feeling in Tangier.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Fes
Fes
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,190 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Rabat
Rabat
Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Tangier
Tangier
Europe
Europe
World
Tetouan
Tetouan
4. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2011, 17:11
Assilah
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

It's for sure you have to see Fes, the most ancient town in the world but it can get busy and 2 days is enough. Give yourself a break on the Atlantic ocean and go to Asilah, 45 km under Tanger. A beautiful Portugese medina and a real paradise beach. This is a fishermen's village with such a spiritual and calm athmosphere, great to hang out and enjoy the authentic Moroccan life. After you can go to Rabat for a day if you really want to see the capital. Good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
The Atlantic Hotel
The Atlantic Hotel
272 Reviews
Agadir, Morocco
Asilah
Asilah
Rabat
Rabat
Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
6. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Removed on: 07 August 2011, 16:52
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Agree with comments about Tanger (don't go), Tetouan (good alternative) and Asilah (pretty coastal resort). The other alternative is Chefchaouen but beware that travel in Morocco is slow, so don't overstretch yourselves.

Edited: 07 August 2011, 08:15
Mentioned in this post
Tetouan
Tetouan
Asilah
Asilah
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

In my opinion,fly into Fes from Madrid,Svilla or Girona(BCN) and spend the most of your time there. As said above the medina is something that must be seeing. Also have a side trip(s) to the Roman ruins,Meolknes,Mid atlas...etc

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Just to clarify the comments of 'AndreaPenn2' above: there are currently no flights between Fez and Seville or Madrid and there are flights between Girona and Fez listed only up until Oct 201.

Also the airport code for Girona is GRO, BCN is the code for Barcelona International (aka El Prat ).

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a few days in Morocco...Fes definitely...Tangier??

Can you give me an idea of how much airfare would be from Seville-Fes?

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain