We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

We spent two weeks this August around Puerto Marina Smir, renting a condo nearby the Barcelo Smir Hotel. This post is intended to warn visitors about the general conditions that can be expected during a beach vacation there.

Puerto Marina is a small marina with only 4 restaurants and has very poor light in the evening. One side of the marina development has never been built and the boat exhibition center has part of its roof missing. The beach area around the adjacent Barcelo hotel is particularly dirty, full of garbage and the abandoned pier (restaurant?) is used as a dump for any kind of rubbish. This is where local people get rid of their litter.

Smir park is a small water and amusement park. It is also badly soiled, with litter and broken glass on its grounds, I did not even want to try the toilets there. Be warned that at night, it becomes the biggest open air disco of the region and its sound level prevents anyone within a mile radius from sleeping!

The development of buildings in the area has been poorly planned and many lots are still vacant, each of them gradually becoming a waste dump, this is a common phenomenon in Morocco where the 'Not In My Backyard' mentality is a reality.

The magnificent beach could be a paradise, but then again we saw garbage everywhere, on the sand and in the water, and it is all from Morocco, by reading the labels. The worst is that open sewers reject dirty water directly on the beach and then in the sea. Ironically, some beach front developments have an open ditch around them, thus creating the perfect place to dispose of litter and creating a safe heaven for mosquitoes.

The Ritz Carlton is still only an Algeco unit with a large sign, no active building yet and it is supposed to open in 2013.

Tamuda bay could be heaven for a beach vacation, but it has turned into a nightmare with mismanaged developments and no planning for collection and treatment of used water and rubbish collection.

Anyone considering a buy to let investment in Marocco should forget the idea, since property and rental prices can only go down in these areas, too many developments being started at all times. Also the lack of laws in construction planning means that anything can be build right nextdoor to a nice development: a disco, a giant supermarket, a dairy plant, a factory...

We cut our stay short and, out of the two weeks rental, only spent 7 nights there, returning ealy to our Rabat home where we enjoy resfull nights and an almost garbage free environment.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 11:05
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

You're right, that part of the Mediterranean coastline is 'the pits.' It's not just the garbage, it's the poor quality development.

It's difficult to imagine it now, but when I first visited Morocco in the 1970s I remember stopping my motorbike on that stretch of coastline, walking through the high tamarisk shrubs and on to the most fantastically beautiful crescent of a beach, totally unspoilt for kilometres in each direction.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Sad to hear this, but I'm not surprised. Thankfully, this development cancer that’s infecting many parts of Morocco’s coastline fizzles out if you head an hour or two to the east, where the unspoilt coast still has fishing villages and zero tourists (probably due to the local hash exporters having a monopoly on the sea front properties…..thank the lord for the green stuff!).

One ironic ray of hope is the that global recession could, and, by the sounds of it, is destroying the hopes of the developers by halting the foreigners and rich Moroccan’s assault on these places. Hopefully, it will mirror Spain’s experience of rampant/illegal/inappropriate development by them all going bust and selling the worthless land back to the farmers they stole it off in the first place.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Lots of visitors comment on the litter I have written about it before on other forums but most people just seem to accept it,off season the beach area can be a real mess, the whole place gets a makeover for August when the kings arrives and then everythings stops .

The holiday apartments and hotels along the beach were very expensive so I found it strange that the beach areas are covered in rubbish it will probably change in time .

The tourism college is across from the waterpark I walk past all the students standing outside and I,m curious to ask what topics they study [if I could speak french or arabic !!] ask if they ever survey the visitors because the litter is always mentioned Im out in 2 weeks so I might try and ask

tetouan
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

May be try English, because that is one of the subjects that they have to study at this beautiful college.

Barking, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Hi at the marina in winter only 1 bar is open but if you take taxi to mediq bar Chico is basic but great free tapas never had a bad bit of grub. Walk around the streets busy most of the year buy veg and fish cheaply

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Pleased to post an up to date comment about this area. Here in August 2013, and the area has developed well. The new port is open in M'Diq and is fantastic. The Ritz Carlton Development has buildings going up fast, and together with Banyan Tree and Sofitel new developments make prestige high quality additions to this area. I have been coming here since 2006 and true the infrastructure can lag behind the pace of change, but things are coming together to make this area a brilliant holiday destination. Thousands of Moroccans and the King choose to come here each summer so they can't all be wrong. I am astounded by the improvements here in the last few years, and have returned 3 times a year sice.....so earlier comments are simply unrecognisable now and unfair to the area

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

I think u suck and the tamuba bay is awesome

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

the tamuda bay is very pretty

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Oh, what a balanced, thoughtful comment. It must have taken you several hours to compose such a comprehensive response.

Poole, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Pueto Marina Smir,Tamuda bay,coastline from Fnideq to Martil

Hi I have been last week in Carltoon TItz building unfortunately all aprtment sold and all villa sold!!!! How ??!?