We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to morrocco from Europe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
getting to morrocco from Europe

We are hoping to get to Morocco for a week during a trip to Europe in Oct-Nov. The plan - so far is to visit Germany, Paris, Spain and Morocco before flying out from Amsterdam. We were planing for morocco to be the last stop then flying to Amsterdam to catch the flight back to Oz but as I try to find flights from Morocco to Amsterdam I am realising that there are not many direct flights and that they are very expensive.

Which cities have direct flights to/from Morocco? I'm thinking that we should either go to London for a few days then fly to Marrakesh or fly there from Barcelona or Madrid? Where is best/quickest/cheapest.

We would possibly spend a few days in Marrakesh then go through the mountains to Fez for a few more days and then up to Tangier and catch a ferry over to Spain? Then find another link to Amsterdam after another week in Spain. Is this too hard? Did I mention that we will be travelling with 3 kids aged 12, 9 & 7.

What to do?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

What you suggest for Morocco is fine. Good Trains connect Marrakech, Fes and Tangier, or you can hire a car or take a tour.

Have you tried Kayak or skyscanner to find flights?

There are many options from London

pagosa springs
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

I think the fastest and cheapest way would be to fly from Madrid to Marrakech or even Casablanca. There are the "cheap" European airlines like Easy Jet and Ryanair that fly directly. I have seen flights with Ryanair for 10 Euros from Madrid to Marrakech, but of course, it varies on the season. Check these two airlines. But you can get to Morocco from any major European city even from London though. I would check the skyscanner.com it is a good website finding the cheapest options.

I would recommend visit of Marrakech and then perhaps drive through the Southern Morocco, the oasis, mountains and the sand dunes in Erg Chebbi and then Fes. The kids would love the desert, I am sure. But of course it depends on how much time you have.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

The Spanish low cost carrier is Vueling and flies between both Madrid and Barcelona to Marrakech. Also friends from Australia travelled via Cairo and Rome (from Perth), just to add to the confusing range of options in front of you.

I've taken a party of school aged kids by ferry/coach to both Paris and Amsterdam; please do not consider the Tangier crossing to Spain lightly with you family! Fly if possible. Have a great tour.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

There are plenty of flights directly to Morocco from Paris, London and Madrid.

Why not check jet4you website, often they have tickets for next to nothing, they fly from Orly Paris airport to Casablanca. Now there are tickets for 3.01 Euro (three e) from Paris to Marrakech.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 16:09
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

Oh wow, this is great. I think that when I've been checking I have tried flights from CDG Paris (Der!). So should I book flights now or closer to the date? Do they have good last minute deals or am i better off with some certainty? We will probably be there in the second week of November for a week or so. Thanks again. Sarah

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

Last minute deals are history. Prices go up the nearer to the date of travel.

(Simply look at prices for flying next week to check this).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

Hi Peter, I have checked and there are cheaper deals for the next few weeks but they are a lot more expensive in November. I thought that Nov would be the low season, is there something on in November that I don't know about? We are a long way away here in Australia.

Sarah

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

High and low seasons are different than you would be led to think. October is a time of high season, due to two factors - the cooler temperatures and European school holidays. The high season continues throughout November and reaches a peak at Christmas and the New Year.

9. Re: getting to morrocco from Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 15:17