We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Hi

We are travelling to Fes in a few weeks with two of our children (aged 12 and 14). One has a severe nut allergy and the other is coeliac, which means we need to steer clear of all nuts, wheat and gluten - even remote traces can be harmful in both cases.

Does anyone else have any experience of either of these difficulties? Or any advice on where to go to eat? We don't feel that our children should be limited in travel or miss out on the experience of other cultures because of their dietary requirements, but clearly we need to be careful.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Hi,

As long as you tell any restaurants/hotels about the kids dietary requirements you won't have a problem, Morocco does have trained chefs and cooks who understand the special requirements you mention. A lot of cakes/biscuits/patisserie in Morocco are nut based so avoid them but generally you should be able to find many places to eat together.

Have a look in the search box with your concerns as this question has been asked before.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Upmarket riad chefs might be clued up but IMHO I don't think the average Moroccan is used to the allergies of modern Europeans and I wouldn't rely on restaurant staff especially if you can't speak Arabic or French.

You need to take control of the problem, research what foods are safe and only order those. Maybe take some non-gluten snacks with you as a standby?

Finally, stick 'gluten' in the Morocco forum search box for several past threads on this subject which offer quite a bit of advice.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 20:30
Mentioned in this post
Le Riad Restaurant
Le Riad Restaurant
125 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

I agree most Moroccan "chefs" are NOT clued in to issues involving food allergies IMHO. Almonds are used in almost every dessert or at least present where desserts are prepared. I would stick to fruits. I agree about deserving to travel but I would recommend extreme caution when traveling in developing countries with medical/dietary issues.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,152 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Pop down to your local library for a Moroccan cookery book, or research popular Moroccan dishes to see what you are up against.

A fellow-traveller at one of Fes better restaurants turned to me and said, "I've been here a week, and all I seem to eat is tagines (stews) and pigeons in pastry.

Couscous is a staple, so I think you might struggle, unless you stick to salads, but even then, bulgar wheat is popular in salads

As said previously - find out what your children *can* eat before you go and order that.

But I'm baffled as to how you can avoid wheat and gluten. Every kitchen will have some, so, if even 'remote traces' can be harmful, I think you are taking a risk.

What do you do when you eat out in the UK??

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

Thanks for all the responses! It's clear we have our work cut out.

I've been scouring the internet today to try to find a simple answer to the question 'can I take food into morocco?' so that I can take some gluten-free bread rolls with me, but I'm not having much luck. Hopefully this is OK to do!

peterscot: yes, it's very difficult to avoid wheat and gluten but it can be done. Here in the UK many restaurants are very clued up and you quickly get to know where you can eat and where you can't!

I have been in touch with Clock Cafe who assure us that they will be able to help, and we are also going to do a cookery course with them on one of the days we are in Fes, so will at least have some control over what goes into dinner that night!

Thanks for all your replies - I hope to be able to report back on a positive experience with the children in Fes!

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
6. Re: Dietary requirements when travelling in Fes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 06:17