We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco without touts

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco without touts

Yes, it is possible. I went to Tamatert - a small berber village about an hour from Marrakesh. We stayed at Douar Samra and had a lovely time. No touts, just a real berber village.

We then went to Essaouira for the Gnaoua festival. I thought there would be wall to wall touts but I was wrong. Essouira is a laid back place. There were people calling out from stalls or displaying wares, but there was not the high pressure, relentless touts that I encountered in other Moroccan cities. We could walk the streets without someone constantly offering to be our guide. I highly recommend both places.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco without touts

I think that's what most regulars on here have been saying for years....

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco without touts

Can you recommend any other Moroccan sites that are similarly low key? I love Fes, but as a woman travelling alone it can be a hassle.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco without touts

See the "top questions" box on the top right of your screen - "travel safety/female travellers" which should give you more ideas.

Edited: 23 September 2011, 17:38
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco without touts

i loved essouria for the laid back shopping, (and i did SOME) and i thought fes was great , too...not too much, at all.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco without touts

It's getting better but still high unemployment in the country. I've always liked Essaouira.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco without touts

The people in Essouria have realised that most Europeans find touts and hassling unpleasant and they make more by leaving people to make up their own minds. Just wish some of the more intrusive touts in other places would make the same decision.s

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco without touts

It is true that Essaouira is an extremely pleasant place and I have always found the shopping there to be exceptional when compared to places like Marrakech and Fez.

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morocco without touts

dp_2000NewYork, There are several places on the coast with minimal aggression from vendors or anyone else: Larache, Oualidia, Harhoura--to name a few--, in addition to Essaouira. I also have had very limited hassles from people in Rabat. I was at a music festival in Oualidia for several hours with hundreds of people in attendance with no incidents at all of hawking and hustling. I think too many people judge the character of Morocco on the atmosphere in Marrakesh or Fez.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morocco without touts

Also,

If you search the forum using the search box you'll find wildly differing opinions on what constitutes perceived hassle in Marrakech and other cities. Many find it's down to your attitude whether you fall foul of the touts etc. I completely agree though that Essaouira seem to have got it right and it's so laid back as to be almost horizontal! Actually this is often literally the case when you look into a shop and see the sales guy flat out in the back :-)

10. Re: Morocco without touts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:15