We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spices back to UK

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Topic
spices back to UK

hey,

im leaving for marrakesh next week and really excited about doing some shopping in the souks. does anyone know what the situation is on bringing herbs and spices back to the uk? also is the situation different with wet foods such as olives?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spices back to UK

See the UK government website below for current regulations:

direct.gov.uk/en/…index.htm

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spices back to UK

Souvenir levels of spices and olives should be fine, but I find it's often cheaper to buy in the UK. I can even get ras-el-hannout spice mix in the shops in North End Road (London).

Bristol used to be the major port for bringing in spices which is why Barts are still located there.

Edit: just checked and you can get ras-el-hannout from Barts, see bartspices.com/static/…

Edited: 27 September 2011, 03:43
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spices back to UK

Totally agree with TIM, I too, don't bother any more, cheaper to buy large packs at home. KNOWKATS.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spices back to UK

Hi,

I'd disagree a bit but only for ras-el-hannout and saffron. If you can see and smell your ras being ground in a spice shop it just has to better than prepackaged bought at home and if you buy the real saffron in Morocco you will save a huge amount of money.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 22:32
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spices back to UK

Shimmin2Rober, you may be right, but as we say spices are very cheap for us to buy in England. When buying Ras, (top of the shop) who knows what's in it? of course not being distrusting sort of thing, but I prefer to mix my own, so I do know. As goes for Saffron, correct this can be expensive, so what would you pay for 1 gram of top quality Saffron in its natural state, in Morocco? KNOWKATS.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spices back to UK

Can you buy, for example, all of these ingredients in the UK to mix your own Ras el Hanout?

Dried rosebuds, orrisroot, belladonna berries, Chinese cinnamon (dar el Sini ed dun), kebala (cubebe) – a West African black pepper, almond husk, ginger seeds, Malayan pepper and cantharides (Spanish fly).

The advantage of buying "at source" is two-fold. Firstly you can choose the ingredients that you wish in the mixture, and secondly such is the turnover that you can be assured that the herbs and spices have not been sitting around for months or even years. A consideration which, in my opinion, is worth bearing in mind.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spices back to UK

Pilobolus, isn't Spanish Fly an aphrodisiac?

The best place to buy saffron in Morocco is Taliouine which is the centre of the crocus growing area. In Taliouine I normally stay at Auberge Souktana which is directly across from the ruined Glaoui kasbah.

In Morocco the saffron is generally sold in the form of the original stigmas threads whereas in the UK it tends to be sold in powder form. Some good information from 'The View From Fez': …blogspot.com/2006/03/moroccan-saffron-as-pr…

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spices back to UK

Hi,

1g of saffron stigmas (the real stuff) is 10-15 Dirhams here so for 100 Dhs you will get what would be a fortune's worth in the UK.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spices back to UK

TC, yes, of course! Spanish fly was used for example to "spice up" (as it were) various Pashas' and other notables' soirees. You are also correct in stating that UK saffron is often powdered - and therefore open to adulteration with the much cheaper turmeric or worse.

shimmin has it right about saffron too: the stigmas represent a guaranteed quality, and even better, in my opinion, than Spanish. Even crushed saffron (the leftovers from processing) at 5 to !0 Dh/g are good for cooking where the colour, if not the abundance of flavour, is required.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spices back to UK

Pilobolus 2011. I can’t really answer that because I do not use most spices you have mentioned, Belladonna berries, aren’t they from the deadly nightshade family, mixed up with Spanish fly, and Pilobolus, isn’t this from the magic mushroom family? a hallucinogenic. see (pilobolus dance) gosh I am glad I DO mix my own, what they get up to would kill me. I will look out for all these, next time I am home for interest sake "only" thankyou. Tim thanyou for the educational on Saffron very interesting, and will make my way to Barts in North-end road also, as I live not very far from there, of course using Red Ken’s free pass, bless him. Shimmin2rober, 10 to 15 Durham's per gram (net weight) for Saffron the real stuff, is indeed a good price, maybe more like 50-60 in U/K and hope HAYAT 1985 is taking note of all this, thank you for your honest reply. KNOWKATS.