We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food to Morocco

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Taking food to Morocco

Can I take food in through customs as gifts for Moroccons we are going to meet - eg tea, jam, home made mince pies etc? Thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food to Morocco

Basically the answer is yes, you can. Ensure that all foodstuffs are unopened and well sealed (ziplock bags?) and are packed in your hold luggage. Also try to ensure that all items are halal - not a problem at customs but as gifts could pose one. In particular mincemeat pies (I assume you mean of the Christmas variety?) can contain non-halal ingredients. Quality chocolate goes down a treat here too - anything sweet!

Welcome to the forums, Averil.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food to Morocco

It was the British who introduced tea to Morocco, but in those days most tea was green and this is what is still consumed in Morocco. In the intervening centuries the British have moved to mainly black tea.

When I lived in Fez I tried to get people to sample my teas--including fruit teas, Earl Grey and English Breakfast--and they just weren't interested.

They didn't like Marmite either. Funny people.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food to Morocco

Too true, TC! When I brought tea (Ceylon in this case) my maid asked if it was a potpourri for a pillow to aid sleep. As for Marmite (or the equally appalling Vegemite), well, the least said the better! (And strictly speaking Marmite is not halal either.)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food to Morocco

Hi Averil, firs of all you are welcome to Morocco, and welcome to Morocco forums.

Bring food to Morocco, esp the stuff you have sent is acceptable, and yes of course you can take it with no problems, people bring gifts to people here.

and if you are visiting somewhere rare like some berber village i would advice too, to bring some gifts like books, shoes, and clothes for kids because there some people will love it. and this just in case.

and please take the fellow advice they are helpful and experienced with our culture so they can give more details about such things.

Welcome to Morocco.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food to Morocco

I love the green tea with mint. Have you noticed it gets progressively darker and no mint as you move south? Personally i could drink a well sugared mint tea (without the tea). I just love the mint!

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food to Morocco

When taking things as gifts we stick to anything too sweet to really be edible which are always appreciated but as to generally taking foodstuffs we do this all the time as after a month or so we get homesick for ham or hot dogs. We have never had problems bringing in non Halal food. my daughter did find that British airport security were quite interested in the pork sausages and cheddar cheese she was taking through in hand luggage this month but they let it through as it isn't prohibited although it apparently looked like liquid in the Xrays.

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food to Morocco

I've converted my moroccan husband to english tea so I always take tea bags with me and baked beans go down well too

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food to Morocco

You can purchase both English tea and baked beans ("haricot blancs a la sauce tomate") in the supermarkets here so no need to bring them. Saves on weight in the latter case. You can also find pork sausages (albeit not in the range of flavours), but I agree that cheddar is sadly lacking - Dutch Edam/Gouda or French mimulet are not the same!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food to Morocco

I have to say Moroccan baked beans (lubiya) are much nicer than a tin of HP or Heniz baked beans and are very affodrable! I eat lubiya all the time but I never ate baked beans in the UK!

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food to Morocco

My partner is Moroccan and has asked me to bring halal haribo (haribo in the uk has haram gelatin but I have managed to order from germany halal haribo) Am I able to bring that through customs on my way out? I know there is no problem coming back as Ive walked through with a bottle of water in my hand and a huge box of freshly made madelines from my mother in law. Morocco seems to be a bit more lenient