We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

Honolulu
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

We are 3 housewives leaving the families at home to celebrate a 50th birthday. We are considering La Momounia, La Sultana or La Maison Arabe. I have read a number of reviews and it appears Trip Advisor people prefer the smaller Riads and La Momounia is dinged for service, spa treatments and being somewhat pretentious.

Since this is likely our only trip to Morrocco we are considering the splurge on La Momounia. That said, we do not want to go to a hotel where you do not get what you pay for. If we are paying top dollar we expect top notch, service, spa, etc. We are staying in a small Riad in Fes so we figured La Momounia would offer a different type of experience.

Bottom line: Is La Momounia worth the money? I stayed at Villa d' Este and while expensive it was worth every penny. This is likely our only trip to Morrocco.

Comments, input would be appreciated.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

Hi,

As you have read the reviews for all three places your best bet now is to send a mesage to a few reviewers. Click on their name and a send message option appears on the left of the page.

Bottom line: Everyone's opinion on what is "worth the money" is their own and only you can decide.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

Before it was closed for a referb, the gardens at La Mamounia were described by Winston Churchill as being the “the loveliest spot in the whole world”. It has a very long standing reputation as being the granddaddy of hotels in Morocco, and has always been known for its high standards. That said, I think it’s now owned and refurbished by a multi national hotel group, which in MHO is a death note for any individuality or truly high standard of service.

Reviews seam to suggest a similar issue. Here’s one I found that may suggest a riad is more appealing (this is not my review but from another site that illustrates my point):

“Glamorous, beautiful, pretentious - The Mamounia is a little difficult for me to review. The decor is stunningly beautiful, the restaurants are top-notch, the gardens are beautiful, the fitness center is excellent, the staff is generally great, pool is spectacular. That said, something is missing. For the outrageous nightly rate we paid, we expected a little more in terms of service, courtesy and the level of care given to guests. We did not always feel respectfully treated by the staff. Our (limited and very reasonable) requests were not always handled with care, and there was just not an "above and beyond" attitude. I expected to be completely blown away by the Mamounia, but by the end of my stay, I found myself missing the quaint little Riad that I stayed in prior to my stay at the Mamounia. I do suggest staying here at least once in a lifetime, but be sure to line your pockets with a mountain of cash, only stay for a couple of days, and do not leave the property on those days. For sightseeing and experiencing Moroccan culture, stay elsewhere. Do not miss the spa here - it is by far the best I have ever been to.”

Interesting review from benFlys on Virtual Tourist web site.

My opinion would be to stay in a riad and go use a luxury day spa and you'll save enough money for another holiday!.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

I have not stayed in La Momounia. I am a big fan of riads. I just don't think you can truly savor Morocco by staying in a hotel. I would recommend a riad every time over a hotel.

4. Re: La Momounia or Smaller Luxury Riad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:17