We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My travel to Western Sahara etc

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
My travel to Western Sahara etc

So I was at Es-Semara.

We start in Ouarzazate and were going via Foum Zguid to Tata there we sleep over. The hotel I was before it was expensive so we took one other La Renaissance and it was good hotel and price too. Were going to Center for to eat dinner and it was funny and interesting to look at people. The food was nothing special but it was OK.

At morning we continued via Akka and Assa to Zag and there it was stop. Check point with police so it was good I had ready the paper with all information about me. But we could not continue as we thought to the road to Smara from there because from Zag it was only piste about 20km only, but difficult to go by normal car. Police kept my passport while we were going to Zag so they are sure we will not go on that piste to Smara. Passport I got back first when we were leaving Zag for Guelmim. We took coffee there and fuel and were going back to Assa. From Assa to Guelmim it was 145km and it was quite late but we continued anyway.

To Guelmim we came around 19.00, began to search after hotel. I was really disappointed over the city, because first time when I was there it was in year 2000 and it was a small city. But now, big very big and not nice, chaotic, much people and traffic too. We were going to one hotel but it was terrible, so we turn back against Assa, 3km from Guelmim to some Gite de etape, but we not stayed there because they could not give us the dinner. The kitchen was closed and she, French woman could not make some even simple food to us. So we were going back and found one big hotel and expensive. 600DH but we had no choice. It was cold there and air condition for to have a little warm not worked.

Next day after breakfast we continue against Tan-Tan and to Smara. I was surprise over West Sahara, there were mountains and the desert was semi-arid. Stones and acacia tree and some green smaller things. To TanTan it was about 125 km so there we stopped for to eat some omelette and drink the tea. TanTan was not so big, I think and it was white with blue windows on the front to the street. Behind it was pink as other houses here in Morocco. The men had one other jelaba than I am used to see and it was nice. It was the same type as Tuaregs have.

After lunch we continued to Smara. Now began the real desert, even if in begin still semiarid. Suddenly I saw Fata Morgana, one big big sea and other and other. First time in my life and it was fantastic and funny too to see it.

Some kilometre before Smara it was check point again. Police her and even in Zag were very kind, no problems we had with some of them. Then we came to Smara and we were going to hotel Amin which police recommended to us. But, the whole hotel was busy with the people making movie in the Smara and they had no place for us at all. So we were going and searched after some other hotel, but every one was terrible I can say. Without shower and toilet too, only outside the rooms. At finish we took on one hotel Paris, is the name. First they wanted give us very bad and small room on the terrace, the toilet were there outside, but so dirty, so I denied to be there. So they give us one other, near the toilet (clean almost) and shower, so it was a little better. ONLY that when we came back after dinner and I would go to take shower, the water stopped to run. Run only little little so it was anyway possible to take a little “shower”. I was not so clean but better than dirty.

At morning we woke up and it was not water at all in the whole Smara, not only at hotel and they say it will not be water today neither. So we have to buy much water so we can clean us a little.

After breakfast, which was so, that we bought bread and cheese and gone to the coffee, there we got the tea and coffee. First I wanted to see the Sultans blue mosque but the people knew nothing about and sent us to some place about 20km from Smara. It was one other, new to look at zawiyya, the place built for to celebrate the man who was very good in the life and did good things only (I wonder when they will build one zawiyya for me ha ha).

When we were going back we stayed at some cemetery on a small hill. There the stones was so blue, I was surprise over the color. Then we came back to Smara and suddenly we found the mosque I wanted to visit. It was zawiyya of the Blue Sultan, built 1890, and near that was mosque of Blue Sultan. Funny, now it was some family living there and outside it was one parabola and they had also hanging the wash inside the rest of mosque.

After lunch we were driving around Smara, but it is not nice city at all. And begin be big too. But still here in the centre it was quite interesting or interesting but …. some mosque where and then military barracks, they were funny with their roof as cupola. It was airport there also and we find the road, which continue to Algeria.

We stayed in Smara two days and only enjoyed the place driving around, going in the city, drinking coffee, and trying to talk with the people and so. I was satisfied or not satisfied, it is not right word. I was happy, really happy to be in Smara and that I saw was what I wanted to see here, but then it was time to go back.

We left Smara and the desert there and were going for to stay some days in Sidi Ifni. It was quite big contrast against the desert of course. But funny too, first we saw one big desert and then the big sea.

Sidi Ifni remind me about fish village in Portugal, before there they began to build so terrible much so they destroyed everything I can say. For example so nice village Ericeira until 10 years back now is terrible big, uch. Anyway Sidi Ifni is very nice and I can think to spend some beach days in summer. Now it was still cold in the water and even the air was not so warm especially at evening. But it was wonderful surrounding there and the beach and rock there, it was fantastic. A lot of surfer I saw there.

Then it was time to go back to Ouarzazate and continue our travel. This time I plan to go and see also Sarhro mountain which I was thinking at so many years but this time I was decide to go! We turned of the road some kilometer after Boumalne, it was still paved road in begin. Then it was only piste, but very good piste so it was going without problem. Sarhro Mountain was what I was to expect and was glad to see it. Only spikes we saw and they were so funny, so many also. The think was to go on the piste to Alnif, we heard it is good piste the whole way. But, we made wrong and in one village we continued straight forward and that we would not do, LOL. The piste begin to be smaller and smaller and worse and worse and at finish only stones etc. But we continued of course anyway, and came to Tinerhir from behind ha ha ha. So then we were going by the normal way to Alnif. We understood that in that village I not remember the name, we would turn right, but … next time.

After more of days of relax continuing first to Errachidia to visit some friends and then to Meknes.

I have to say that the way to Midelt was OK, nice view and rocky surrounding and small oasis here and there etc. But after Midelt, boring and monotone. Even Azrou made me disappointed, monkey they were not there they should be. The people there said to us that at day they are hiding somewhere so we had to search them. But it was too warm for to search them, so we continued. Azrou self – disappoint again, so big and I not liked it. And the road boring again. Only about I not remember 20km after Azrou one wonderful view, they call it for Ito I think. Wonderful, incredible, this was only one thing on the whole stretch from Midelt to Meknes which was worth to see.

Meknes, nice peaceful city, and despite much traffic around it was quiet anyway. Medina very nice, we stayed at one small riad and there it was nice and cold even if outside it was 37 degree and riad had not AC so it was cool there. 120 years old riad, I wish to have some such, it would be so funny to live in one.

I liked to go there, to see all buildings and palaces and then relaxing on the square, to look at people, really nice and wonderful.

Then it was time to go to Casablanca, by train and it was boring and warm. But train was good, comfortable even if warm a little more, but ...

And next day to airport and back home. Occasionally I had a little fun at hotel Atlas, or not occasionally but after I came back home and looked at my bank account. Still it is not solved, this issue but I hope it will be solved soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My travel to Western Sahara etc

Now it is solved my issue with the hotel Atlas and I got the money back, so it is nice :)

Wanted to complete my review of the hotel with this, but it was impossible to do it, so I write it only here.

2. Re: My travel to Western Sahara etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:17