We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
152 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Dear All,

In January I am planning to visit Morocco for 10 days with my family including my twin daughters. They will be 2 years old in January 2013 and our plan is to celebrate their b’day in Morocco during our trip. Due to flight connections, we have to leave and arrive from Casablanca. Generally I like to make my own arrangements, but since this will be our first trip to Morocco and we will be travelling with my daughters, thought it will be better to do it through a travel agent.

So I have been writing to a lot of operators requesting packages. Most of the packages look like this since I requested that we would like to visit Marrakech, Fes and or Essaouira.

Day 1 : Arrival in Casablanca and drive to rabat

Day 2 : Rabat - Fes

Day 3 : Fes - Fes .

Day 4 : Fes - Desert ..

Day 5 : Desert ..

Day 6 : Desert - Todra Gorges - Dades.

Day 7 : Dades - Ouarzazate ..

Day 8 :Ouarzazate - Marrakech ..

Day 9 : Marrakech .

Day 10 : Marrakech - Casablanca .

There are of course slight variations, but I hope you get the idea. My questions – Is this realistic given that we will be travelling with two 2 year olds and my mother in law who is above 60!! We really like the idea of camel trekking in desert and staying in a desert tent with kids, but how feasible is this with the kids.

Would you advise that we either drop Fes or Marakech or focus on particular region so we don’t get too exhausted by traveling?

Any advice on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ram

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

I don´t know if I would do this trip with so small children as you have. Can you not wait with your travel when they are a little bigger? Or stay on one place and make only some days tours?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
618 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

I would not advise riding the camels into the desert tent and overnight with a 2 years old kid as it get really chilly at night...you may include the desert but stay at your hotel and ride the camels for the sunset or the sun rise.

With reference to the whole itinerary I believe it intails some driving yet you wil get to see most of Moroccos attractions, otherwise you could skip Fes and stick to Marrakech...with a desert tour and a day or 2 in Essaouira.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

The tour of the travel agent you quote, and many other tours, do involve lot of driving, and the distances in Morocco are vast. Your twins will have their own priorities and needs (what with meal times, etc) which must be incorporated within your travelling with a car. I have done a desert trip from Marrakech, travelling alone for a 3-day trip, and the camel ride alone proved to be a little experience, shall we say. Personally I would not attempt it with 2 toddlers in tow.

Remember January is winter, and the nights are cold.

Age is not limit, once the person is able to move in normal way.

Of course you wish to see as much as possible on your trip, however I have a feeling that it is better not to cram too many places, and have endless packing /unpacking your suitcase daily.

Why not concentrate in Fes OR Marrakech, the surrounding areas, and skip the desert tour this time.

Please check on the right hand column in Top Questions in Morocco, spmm has given good info.

Happy travelling!

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Thanks Everyone. This is indeed very useful and apologies for the delay in acknowledging your feedback. I did not have access to net for the past couple of days. Yes. After careful review, we have decided to drop the desert as I don’t want to risk it with the kids. I have also decided to drop Fes and do only Marakech and some surrounding sites and if needed, to do reduce the days from 10 to 7.

The other thing I want to do is that once we decide on the places/exact routes, to do the hotel bookings by myself (I am not really happy with most of the hotels provided by the tour operators) and only ask a local tour operator to arrange the transfers or hire a car with driver. Do you think this would work out fine and whether local operators would agree to this? This way I feel we would have greater control of our trip as some days we would most likely just relax in the hotel, enjoy spa, etc or visit only nearby restaurants. So I don’t think we would need a guide/driver with us 24 x 7.

@ Khamlia: I understand your concern, but this is not the first time we will be travelling with the kids on holidays. We have taken them to other places in Africa/Asia but generally to places where I have been and hotels I have stayed on so I knew what to expect. The problem this time is that this will be our first trip to Morocco. I do have holidays in January and Casablanca is one of the few places we can fly directly to – which when travelling with couple of toddlers is a big attraction. Morocco does seem like a child friendly place so hopefully we will not face any major issues

Cheers,

Ram

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Sriramhari, it seems you know what you do so it is good :) Have a nice holiday, Morocco is wonderful and the people love children, and your twin daughters will be to admire.

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Thanks Khamlia!! After doing some more research and reviewing all the option, finally we have decided to do only 9 nights/10 days and decided to organize everything by ourselves. Plan is to arrive in Casablanca and then to drive straight to Marakkech (by taxi) and spend 4 nights (sight seeing with few day trips) there and then to go to Essaouira for 3 nights and then return back to Marakkech for 2 nights for some last minute shopping.

We want the holidays to be relaxing so did not want to stretch ourselves too much with two hyper active kids. Hopefully this will be the first of many visits to Morocco :-)) We finally got our visas last week and I have booked flights and Riads in Marakkech/Essaouira. So looking forward to the holiday and I will let you know how it turns out.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

You can start your trip from Casablanca passing to El Jadida, el Oualidia to Marrakech then Essaouira this locations seems more relaxing and wonderful to chill and enjoying your holiday.

Happy Travels.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Sriramhari, I see that you did on your itinerary and it is actually very good considering your little twins. I think you will like Morocco as much as you want to return after a year when girls get bigger and can enjoy your itinerary you planned first . Have a nice trip :)

Edited: 02 December 2012, 20:21
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Hi there,

My hubby and I are arriving in Casa on 15th Jan. We have 5 nights in Morocco. We have booked riad in marakeech for 3 nights and 1 night in Casa on arrival in Morocco. We can still make changes to hotel booing. How long is the drive or train from casa to marakech?

We will be departing from casa on 20th morning 10 am dep time. So looks like 1 more night in casa prior to catching flight back home. And we hate to do this. Any suggestions?

wondering if we can do a day trip to fes from marakeech?

thanks.

Ran

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help -Traveling to Morocco with two 2 yr olds!!

Hi Ran,

This should really have been asked as a seperate question as it has nothing to do with the original post.

However as you are new to the forum maybe TA will let me answer an off topic question? ;-)

The train journey is around 3 hours and the drive would be around 2 and a half.

Departure at 10.00 means you should be at the airport around 08.00 so unless you want to drive through very early in the morning I'm afraid a last night in Casablanca is the only option.

A day trip to Fes from Marrakech is not an option as the journey times are too long.