We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! No idea where to go!

Beverly...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! No idea where to go!

My daughter will be studying in ifrane for her semester abroad in January. We are planing to visit her and do some traveling in April. How much time should we plan and where is best to travel to? Just starting my research. Fez? Casablanca? Marrakech? Any info would be appreciated!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

i think you should contact thomas from journeys beyond travel. he first landed in ifrane to teach and is a marathon runner, i believe. i met his partner, fazia , in ifrane..they are a great couple, and i am sure that they would be very helpful to you. they were very helpful to us, and showed us around ifrane...switzerland of morocco.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

Hi,

By the time you arrive in April your daughter will have made lots of friends and have many people who will be able to help you on your travels. No need to use an agency when you'll have local friends to advise you how to make the most of your visit.

The longer you stay the more you will see! From Ifrane you can easily visit Meknes, Volubilis and Fes as day trips and if you are in Morocco for a reasonable amount of time Marrakech is a must. Sadly unless you really want to I'd say don't bother with Casablanca. From Marrakech you can visit the Atlas mountains and Essaouira on the coast. If you are here for long enough you could even travel from Fes to Marrakech via the desert?

Happy planning.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

It would be worth to buy also some guide book so you can see it on the paper :) and can find places you think sounds interesting.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

no reason to use an agency,but would be fun to meet some americans that are in ifrane and taught at the school.

you are going to have a gtreat time. what fun!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

The area around Ifrane is exceedingly beautiful with water meadows, cedar forests, limestone karst scenery, extinct volcanos, and wild monkeys.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

now i wish we could have spent more time there!! but, we did get to visit the french wine store, great wines...fazia was very helpful!!

Bulverde, Texas...
Level Contributor
7 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

I would like to second the decision to skip Casablanca. I did the Fes to Marrakech trip with a dip into the desert when I visited in March and I loved it. So many changes of scenery you really feel like you see the many faces of Morocco.

Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

Andrea, did you drive or take the train from ifrane to Marrakech?

Thanks...still planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! No idea where to go!

There is no Train from Ifrane to Marrakech, but there is from Fes to Marrakech.

Check www.oncf.ma