We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Days in Morocco

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
12 Days in Morocco

I know there has been quite a bit of conversation around itineraries on this forum so apologies for being redundant but in all my research, I've become overwhelmed so I figured I should just reach out and ask directly.

My boyfriend and I are going to Morocco on Dec 30 for 12 days and as neither of us have been before, we want to experience as much as we can without being so ambitious that we don't have time to enjoy the country.

We are looking to experience both the luxury (in Marrakech or Fes perhaps) and authenticity of the country (in smaller villages off the beaten path). We fly into Casablanca in the morning and had planned to go straight from the airport to the train station to depart for our next destination as it doesn't sound like Casablanca itself has much to offer. But where we go and for how long we have not yet determined.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a 12 day trip they loved and see any itinerary thoughts and/or suggestions. As I mentioned, the more I read, the more confused I become so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

For 12 Days in Morocco is a good time to explore and experience the best parts of it, as you know Both of Fes and Marrakech worth it, thus i'd suggest a good itinerary that can highlight your stay in Morocco, including the highlights of Morocco with all it has to offer.

1- Casablanca is a big modern city and it has nothing to offer a traveller from Culture,history or anything makes a traveller interests, so in Casablanca you only have to visit the Mosque of Hassan 2, Rick's Cafe and experience the Cornish then skip it to Rabat, using the Train as a quickest and easiest way to Travel between the big Cities, in Rabat you can see the Kasbah Des Oudayas, Chellah and the Hassan Tower.

2- From Rabat you can Travel to Fes. stay in Fes 2 to 3 night, doing a Day Trip to see Meknes and Volubilis.

5 - Fes-Merzouga, You can use the Bus of Supratours or Hiring a Driver for a Desert tour from Fes to Marrakech via the desert, as you can check varies Tours using the Link on the right side for recommendable Tours.

when you arrive Merzouga try to Overnight in a Hotel there, and ask them to arrange a Camel Ride for you skipping the false Guides there which will cost you a lot, and having an awful experience, reading a recent experience by someone been to Rissani and been forced to pay extras and having a horrible experience with some Hotel situated in the Off Roads.

7- From Merzouga you can Travel Directly to Marrakech using Supratours Bus, or if you hire a driver or a Tour, try to visit Todra Gorges, then the best place to make a stop between Merzouga and Marrakech is Dades Boumalen.

8- from Boumalen Dades Travel via Skoura, visiting amredil Kasbah, then Kalaat Mgouna " Rose Valley" to Ouarzazate Hollywood Africa, then Ait ben-Haddou Ksar Continue to Marrakech.

9 -10 Explore Marrakech, there is a lot to do and experience.

11- Day Trip to the HIgh Atlas Mountains, Imlil Visiting Kasbah Toubkal as a very authentic place to see near arumd Village, where the strong berber culture exist.

12- Depart for your flight if it's in Marrakech try to arrange the transfer by a grand Taxi after you negotiate the best Price or by the Riad around 100 Dirhams.

Helpful Links:

- Suprtaours Bus and Trains Timetables : www.oncf.ma

- Recommended Morocco Tour companies : http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=9195&geo=293730&scope=2&q=morocco+tour+companies&s=+&x=0&y=0

- Recommended Desert Tours: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=9195&geo=293730&scope=2&q=high+atlas+guide&s=D

- Recommended High Atlas Mountains Guides and Tours: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=9195&geo=293730&scope=2&q=desert+tour+companies&s=D

-

for any concerns try to use the Search box very easily, and at the right side the Top Asked Question about Morocco has a lot of Information to enlighten your trip to Morocco.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Hi,

Arriving on December 30th you have left it dangerously late to book somewhere to stay. This is one of the very busiest times of the year here and many Riads and Hotels are already fully booked so try to make a reservation somewhere as soon as possible. Good luck.

You are right to land in and leave Casa as soon as you can. Choose Marrakech or Fes then plan the rest of your trip from there but I can't stress enough that making a reservation somewhere should be your first concern.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Solide Advice from Shimmin, very true most of the riads/Hotels are fully booked so try to make something quicker to make sure there is availability for you.

Good Luck.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

I really really appreciate the advice! It was a very last minute decision so I appreciate the incite and will make sure we book something asap.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Thank you again for this. So helpful. If I've understood you correctly our trip would look like this. Does it seem right?

dec 31: casablanca to rabat

jan 1: rabat to fes

jan 2-4: fes

jan 5-7: fes to marrakech via desert drive

jan 8-10: marrakesh

jan 11: marrakesh to casablanca

jan 12: fly home

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Also please note you can take wonderful day trips from Marrakech to nearby surroundings, check on TA page.

Happy holidays!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

"jan 5-7: fes to marrakech via desert drive" - three day are not enough for this trip

Edited: 27 November 2012, 13:10
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Thanks Khamlia. I woke up this morning and had the same thought. Do you think 4 days would be sufficient? And do you think it would be better to hire a guide (we would like to see small towns off the beaten path) or just get a car and a map and drive ourselves?

Our revised itinerary would look like this:

dec 31: casablanca to meknes (i hear it's more charming than rabat. true?)

jan 1: meknes to fes

jan 2-3: fes

jan 4-7: fes to marrakech via desert drive

jan 8-10: marrakesh

jan 11: marrakesh to casablanca

jan 12: fly home

Edited: 27 November 2012, 15:42
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Hi,

Think about heading straight to Fes from Casa and see Meknes as a day trip then carry on with the rest of your plan.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

That's True,

I agree with that Plan, so since it's busy and will be in rush Try to skip Casablanca directly to Fes, from Fes try to arrange a Day Trip to see Meknes and Volubilis.

For the desert i agree with Khamlia 3 Days is Not really enough so 4 Days would be good to take the Trip slow, Traveling in Morocco is very slow as the country is very large and has a lot to offer.

since you will have a desert Tour, you have flexibility to make it 4 Days via the desert and the Road of Thousand Kasbahs, and enjoy the rest of the trip in Marrakech having a Day Trip to the High atlas Mountains or Essaouira as a great Day Trip Option from Marrakech.

Happy Travel planning.