We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Days in Morocco

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
12 Days in Morocco

I know there has been quite a bit of conversation around itineraries on this forum so apologies for being redundant but in all my research, I've become overwhelmed so I figured I should just reach out and ask directly.

My boyfriend and I are going to Morocco on Dec 30 for 12 days and as neither of us have been before, we want to experience as much as we can without being so ambitious that we don't have time to enjoy the country.

We are looking to experience both the luxury (in Marrakech or Fes perhaps) and authenticity of the country (in smaller villages off the beaten path). We fly into Casablanca in the morning and had planned to go straight from the airport to the train station to depart for our next destination as it doesn't sound like Casablanca itself has much to offer. But where we go and for how long we have not yet determined.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a 12 day trip they loved and see any itinerary thoughts and/or suggestions. As I mentioned, the more I read, the more confused I become so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Astem, I am not right person to ask if it is better with guide :) They not like me and I not like them. I prefer to guide me self.

But 4-5 days as Hami supposes are OK

Fes - overnight Midelt - Erg Chebbi (best to be there 2 nights but I know maybe you have not time ?) - Todra Gorge+if possible also Dades - Ouarzazate with Ait BenHaddou - Marrakech

and I got suddenly 5 days at least, so you can think about what to do :)

Edited: 27 November 2012, 20:45
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

In doing my research, while I love the current sound of my itinerary and have holds on everything, I am questioning if I'm going in the wrong direction (north) when it's Dec/Jan. Should I be going south instead? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? I'm not particularly interested in relaxing on a beach and would rather experience the culture and explore the country. Thoughts?

Edited: 28 November 2012, 05:40
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

As a southern route, how does this look?

12/30-31/2013 Flight into Casablanca. Taxi to Casa Voyageurs.

12/31/2013 Train from Casablanca Voyageurs to Marrakech

12/31-1/4/2013 Stay in Marrakech (3 full days)

1/4/2012 Drive from Marrakech to Ouarzazate

1/4-5/2013 Overnight in Ouarzazate

1/5/2012 Drive from Ouarzazate to Zagora

1/5-6/2013 Overnight in Zagora

1/6/2013 Drive from Zagora to Tata

1/6-7/2013 Overnight in Tata

1/7/2013 Drive from Tata to Taroudant

1/7-8/2013 Overnight in Taroudant

1/8/2013 Drive from Taroudant to Agadir

1/8-9/2013 Overnight in Agadir

1/9/2012 Drive from Agadir to Essaouira

1/9-11/2013 Stay in Essaouira (3 full days)

1/11/2012 Train to Casablanca

1/11-12/2013 Overnight in Casablanca

1/12/2013 Fly out of Casablanca

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Yes, it can be more warm south that time so it is good. Only you will miss the nice dunes in Erg Chebbi, but it is not the whole world, even if I like them so much :)

Don't forget to visit Ait BenHaddou when you are in Ouarzazate. You can stay 2 nights for to explore it better. It is there not only Ait BenHaddou, it is there nice kasbah, palace of Glaoui etc.

Don't stay in Zagora only, continue to M'Hamid. Zagora is a big city now and not exciting at all. In my eyes. M'Hamid is more interesting. Stay there 2 nights at least. But, if you want to see sand dunes you have to go to Erg Chigaga, it needs 4x4 and approx 2 hours to drive.

Tata - I like it very much :) Taroudannt also. Agadir is very near from Taroudannt, it take one hour so have not hurry from Taroudannt, it is more nice than Agadir. Agadir is a modern city.

How you decide to travel? Rent a car is the best, bus is OK but better is the car of course. Have a map and guidebook and you will be fine. It is nice, not difficult to drive in Morocco, not have hurry, keep rules and not drive when it is dark.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Astermber;

I wonder how you changed your itinerary as you have had a good plan in the beginning and was well organised, this one you've just made seemed a bit hectic and will make your trip with non-sense, like Khamlia had explained above.

So for this changes you can do follow this itinerary to enjoy Morocco with all it has to offer from Imperial Cities, beach, kasbahs and mountains.

1 - Casablanca-Fes.

2- Explore Fes.

3- Fes-Merzouga, Overnight in a Hotel.

4- Merzouga - Camel Ride, and desert overnight.

5- Merzouga Ouarzazate.

6- Ouarzazate-Tarroudant.

7- Tarroudant-Essaouira via Agadir.

8- Essaouira.

9-Essaouira-Marrakech.

10-11. Marrakech.

12- Casablanca Departure.

Hope this plan could work out for you, as it looks a bit better and has a lot to offer than running, one thing to Know that travelling in Morocco is very slow so to enjoy your trip stay more than 1 day in the important locations Fes and Marrakech and the desert area too.

Note : your trip of 12 day in Morocco without Fes and the desert has no meaning, many of experienced travellers can tell you this.

Happy Travel Plannings.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 12:42
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

Thank you! I didn't think we could do all that in 12 days but it sounds perfect!

17. Re: 12 Days in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:17