We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erg Chigaga : which tour?

Marco da Busto
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Erg Chigaga : which tour?

Hi everyone

I'm planning a 2-nights trip in the Erg Chigaga desert, and I can't decide between two different options I've been offered :

1) first night in a mobile camp reached by camel (on the way to the Erg), around an area called "dunes the Douibe" , and second night in Erg Chigaga, reached by 4x4.

2) both the nights in Erg Chigaga, using the second day to explore the desert by camel.

Those of you who have already been there, what option would you definately go for?

thank you!!

Edited: 14 December 2012, 16:03
Sahara Tours 4x4
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours
Morocco Attractive Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Marrakech Guided Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tenere Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

Not many tour operators go that way, sounds like Zbartravel?

The first might be more interesting. With the second option a day is a long time to be stuck in Erg Chigaga with only an uncomfortable camel for company.

Marco da Busto
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

hi Tim

yeah, the first option is with Zbar Travel! ;)

did you went with them?

would you then reccomend the first option ?

I had the same though of you, but I wasn't sure how interesting could the "dunes the Douibe" compared to the dunes of Chigaga....(I'm a photographer as well).

If not many people go there, that sounds also a better authentic trip, isn't it?

I just don't know about the mobile camp (wild camp)....

it's worth it in December? I don't know how these tents are ...

thank you!!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

No, I always go under my own steam (off road motorbike), though sandy areas are always more problematic.

I believe the Erg Douibe is similar to Erg Lihoudi which is an area of low dunes only 50cm or so high, but check with the travel company.

I'm also uncertain about the terminology of 'mobile camp', most of the tent sites in the sand dunes are fairly static.

December can be pretty cold, so gloves and a hat are useful to have. I rough camped one January night when the track was too rough and I was just too tired, so no tent, no sleeping bag, just an exposure sack and the temperature was around freezing.

Roma
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

Hi Marco,

Im going to Erg Chigaga in March. Im also interested in the desert tour.

Which one have you done? Can I ask you also about the price and the name of the agency?

Thanks a lot

5. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 15:17
San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

I'm researching such a trip for April. Why do do many encourage Chebbi over Chigaga? My thing with Chebbi is that it sounds like you don't go on treks, rather you stay at a hotel next to the dunes and perhaps take a camel for a sunset ride. Is it possible to go to Chebbi and get further into the dunes on a trek?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

Of course you can go to Chebbi and get further into the dunes on a trek and you not need at all to stay in some hotel. I know people who were doing the camel trip in 8 days in Erg Chebbi. There are not only sand dunes, there are much more and during your trip you can go from the place to place, even outside the sand dunes of course.

Difference between Erg Chebbi and Chigaga is not so big, Chigaga is a bit bigger, Chebbi a bit higher. But Erg Chigaga is longer in the desert we can say and you can come there only by 4x4, or by camel :). While to Erg Chebbi you can go by normal car, or by bus which take you just in the a little more crowded Merzouga there you anyway not need to stay. But it is also interesting to see the people living there.

8. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 15:17
9. Re: Erg Chigaga : which tour?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:16