We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to travel?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
safe to travel?

We intend to travel to Morocco via ferry from the south of Spain early February 2013 to visit Marrakesh.

We've received some updated travel advice via a government travel website that has increased the level of warning to travellers due to ongoing unrest in the area.

Would like to know of anyone who has recently travelled there and their experiences regarding traveller safety.

thanks!

1. Re: safe to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 21:34
Edited: 23 December 2013, 21:34
Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to travel?

I live in Marrakech. Things are normal here.

The UK travel advice remains unchanged - there are no travel restrictions.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to travel?

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Morocco

If you are referring to the above, the general level of warning has not increased. It makes Morocco out to be a very dangerous place which is not at all true, and contains several factual inaccuracies (for example, needing permission to travel to Western Sahara).

These government sites always play on the safe side, for example the advice, "There is an underlying threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers," sounds very worrying but is what the British Foreign Office writes about Australia! See fco.gov.uk/en/…australia

4. Re: safe to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 21:34
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe to travel?

Hi, I'm wanting to visit over Easter for 10 days. Couple of friends have said for me to reconsider taking our two children (4 and 7). I will be travelling with my partner too... Is it safe to take children or are these friends being slightly ignorant?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe to travel?

the general opinion on this forum is that morocco is safe. for both children and adults. i agree with that assessment.

however. it is not OUR opinion which is important here. check what advice YOUR government gives. then check with YOUR travel insurance company. should you be travelling against advice, many insurance companies will not cover you. check before you travel.

pam

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe to travel?

Definitely ignorant. LOL

Morocco has always been a place of wonder for young—in 1984 we took our two daughters when they were a similar age. Moroccans love children and they will have a great time.

Stick 'children' into the search box if you need more reassurance!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe to travel?

Thank you Tim, your advice is appreciated! Look forward to introducing our children to the culture of Morocco.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safe to travel?

ShoniStar - have your friends travelled to Morocco?

When I first planned to travel to Egypt (my first experience of North Africa) many years ago several of my friends warned me against it. They cared about me. I travelled and had a great time. When I returned home I realised that none of them had ever been to Egypt themselves!

You are not the first tourists to travel to Morocco with children and you won't be the last!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe to travel?

heresmyreply - no, neither have been to Morocco. Mostly on the Florida type holidays... Thanks for the advice!