We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

san francisco
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

I'm considering visiting Morocco during Ramadan this year, and I'm wondering if the nightly celebrations will make it too difficult to sleep. I'm a very light sleeper, so the sounds of people partying late into the night would definitely keep me awake. If anyone can please let me know if you can hear the nightly celebrations from most hotels and how late into the night the partying goes, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

It is not actually a celeberation on nightly basis, merely a time when locals can enjoy their meals. Which is after sunset till sunrise. As you can imagine they must cram breakfast, dinner and another meal to keep them going the next day, noise will be carried out, when preparing meals, eating etc. It cannot be done in complete quietness. As Ramadan falls this year for summer time, it is even shorter.

Dont get stresses for this matter, Moroccoans are easygoing people very friendly, and soon u will adapt for their lifestyle. I have personally enjoyed staying there more when ramadan, than other times, but then again, it is a personal call. Even the wary waiters in coffeeshops, some of them asleep, offer curtious service with a smile, I know they have not slept a wink but still keep on their daily work and routine going, and well.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

I was in Morocco once during Ramadan and cannot remember it would be much noisy at night and so. It was very interesting to be there just that time and see, with full respect of course.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

These are religious celebrations, a time for families to be together eating and observing duties of the faith. There is no riotous partying at night and if anything days are even quieter. I have experienced 16 holy months of Ramadan in three different Muslim countries and found the time to be very similar in each.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

Never bothered me in my years in Morocco.

san francisco
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

Great -- thanks very much, everyone. Helpful to know!

6. Re: Is it too noisy to sleep during Ramadan in Morocco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:15