We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning

US
5 posts
Save Topic
Trip Planning

I am struggling to put together a travel plan that works with flights. Given that Royal Air Morocco does not fly to Errachidia, it looks like I need to forego the visit to Essaouria because it might be too much driving for my wife and 2 daughters.

Here is a plan that I worked out:

Day 1 - arrive CAS and fly/drive to Marrakesh

Day 2 & 3 - Marrakesh

Day 4 - Ouarzazate

Day 5 & 6 - Desert trip

Day 7 - ?? (where to stop on the way to Fes if anywhere?)

Day 8 & 9 - Fes

Would welcome all thoughts and open questions are:

Marrakesh or Fes for 3 days

Desert - is 2 nights sufficient? Seems in reading various posts that with the overnight in Quarzazate, this is sufficient.

Essaouria - is this out of the question?

Thank you for your recommendations and views.

HDT3US

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning

Hi,

Think about visiting Marrakech, allocating 4 days to visit the desert and come back to Marrakech and have a day or overnight visit to Essaouira on the coast. Fes is another Imperial city like Marrakech so a beach town would add more contrast to your visit in my opinion.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning

Sounds OK. Personally I'd stop at Ait Benhaddou which is about 25km short of Ouarzazate. There's at least 20 hotels there now, some with pools, some with wifi.

Day 7 you are right to break the trip to Fez with an overnight. An early stop would be Hotel Jurassique in the Ziz Gorge. There's Kasbah Asmaa which personally I don't like in Midelt, otherwise continue on to Azrou and stay at the Panorama. Then the next morning you could see the wild monkeys, visit Ifrane and arrive in Fez around midday which will be easier driving than arriving in the evening.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning

Desert trip - what you mean with desert trip? If you mean if it is sufficient with the desert trip to stay over in Ouarzazate, so it is not really desert trip, there it is only the beginning. Desert trip in Erg Chebbi, the best is with 2 nights, one at some accommodation and one night in the sand dunes in some camp. So your itinerary day 5 an 6 is right.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,849 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning

love tims itinerary...as he travels morocco, and really knows how to use time wisely. it is great that he actually drives his motorbike all over and has a wonderful feeling of the country.

where are you now tim?? trip report , please.

US
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planning

shimmin2robertson,

Thanks very much for your input. One quick question - do you think this would be too much time driving especially since we would be backtracking back to Marrakesh and then to Essasouria? Since I don't know the region (and am driving with 2 teens!), just want to make the trip more sane. Please advise and thank you!

Cheers,

HDT3US

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planning

Hi,

I meant come back to stay in Marrakech then after a days rest maybe take a trip to Essaouira. If you've had enough driving by then just take the bus. Supratours are comfortable intercity coaches. You'll find their schedules on the www.oncf.ma website.

7. Re: Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 05:17