We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about dirhams

Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question about dirhams

I have read that it is illegal to take out of Morocco or bring into Morocco more than a thousand dirhams. I have seen postings here about people who were heavily fined for trying to take more than a thousand dirhams out of Morocco. I have entered and left Morocco several times: through the airport in Casablanca, the airport in Rabat/Sale and at the border crossing at Ceuta. I have never been asked how many dirhams I was taking out or bringing in. Have I just been lucky or what? I have never had more than a thousand dirhams with me any of the times I have entered or left Morocco, I am just curious.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about dirhams

Hi,

Some people are asked and some not.

2. Re: Question about dirhams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 18:04
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about dirhams

I guess I have been lucky. I'll just make sure to have less than a thousand dirhams when I go to Paris in June. John, the police and customs agents in Morocco don't seem to find me suspicious, but the police in Chicago, where I lived for 28 years, always seemed to think I was suspicious. I could be standing at the corner waiting for a bus and they would drive by and give me the critical once over. In fact, I walked into a restaurant one morning for breakfast and there were a half dozen policemen at a table and they all turned and stared at me as if I were going to rob the place and kept staring at me while I ate. The police in Chicago made me very uncomfortable. The police in Rabat and Paris, on the other hand, always say hello to me and treat me with respect.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about dirhams

Some visits I've been asked, others not.

5. Re: Question about dirhams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:18