We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Hi guys,

I haven't posted to TA before, but my husband and I are planning to take my parents on a trip to Morocco next year. I am looking at the Morocco Explorer tour run by Peregrine Adventures....

Just wondering if anyone has done this tour, and what they thought of it. Also, if anyone knows group sizes, age ranges etc - my parents are in their mid 50's so don't want to book a tour that is mainly 19 year old party animals... they might start to feel their age a bit too much!

Any tips on this tour or other tours would be much appreciated. My only prerequisite is that we get to ride a camel!

thanks so much :)

NZ
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Peregrine have been around for many years. They tend to attract a mixture of people including many who are solo travellers who want some of the hassles taken out of touring as their time is limited. Over the years I've done a few in places where my time is short and I feel a solo older female would find it difficult (ie Egypt, Syria and Jordan) and found them good, but as always so much depends on the calibre of the local tour guide leader and the mix of participants. If they had been on any of the tours I was on they would have been among the average age group. One was in his mid 80s and fitter than the 30 year old.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Peregrine, is an Australian Group Travel company as Kay has explained above, it has been running for several years ago, host old people who want comfortable travel service, as it's also run with Geckoes for young solo travellers, but you should know that in Morocco they are hosted by Sahara Expedition Travel company, they don't have their staff here in Morocco, they only collect people and sending them to other countries hosted by local which makes their trip real and fun to experience enjoying the real life, try to use the search box above for more information about Morocco Travel companies, as you can check the Tour companies and Guide link on the right side of Morocco forums under the Top Asked Questions about Morocco.

- read some helpful topics about Peregrine: www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

- Some reviews about Peregrine Host in Morocco: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293734-d1…

please use this forum for any information you would like to know, as you will receive any helpful thought before you make any decision for your trip.

Again you are welcome to Morocco Travel forums.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Hi Crackers, my wife and I took the "Morocco Explorer" tour with Peregrine in May 2013. Our fellow travellers ranged in ages from mid 20s to mid 60s. We had an excellent Bedouin tour guide and also an equally good driver. Transport was in a new Mercedes van. The tour focusses on Moroccan culture which we found enlightening. The pace of the tour suited all and although there were one or two who skipped a couple of the walks due to the heat. The night in the desert is unforgetable. A great tour which was thoroughly enjoyed by all on our tour. BTW, we had travelled with Peregrine through Cambodia and Vietnam in 2012 and enjoyed equally. The tours are a great way to see countries that can be challenging to navigate alone. If you speak French you will be understood by most. Good luck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Hi Peter,

My wife are booked on the Morocco Explorer tour this May 2014. You mentioned the heat for some people skipping some walks. We chose May as it seemed to be outside of any weather extremes. What should we expect and any other tips for us. we are mid 50's and well travelled.

Thanks

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

We travelled to Morocco during May, 2013. It seems to be the best time as temperatures are not extreme. My wife and I are in our sixties and we had no problems with either the temperatures or the walks, most of which are through medina or around historic sites. The walks that one or two people skipped were around 4 hours long with little cover. The people had not taken any water and turned back after about 15 minutes. There was no problem although it would be wise to do as you would in Oz, carry water and cover up. As far as tips, I suggest that you read as much as you can - we had an excellent DK Eye Witness Guide, produced in the UK. It listed the do's and dont's. The usual procedures should be adopted when travelling anywhere far from what we are used to. Do not drink water unless it is bottled and the seal unbroken. Do not eat lettuce or anything washed in water. Crime in Morocco is no worse than at home although pick pokets can be a problem if proper precautions are not taken. Chemists are available in most places we stayed although it is always a good idea to keep any necessary medicines, tablets etc with you and not expect the corner shop to stock what you might need. Photographing Moroccans can sometimes result in a request for payment - we always asked permission first which was seldom refused - show the subject the photo. Always treat those selling items wherever you go with politeness and firmness if you do not wish to buy - they will show remarkable persistence and difficult to shake off. Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs. Morocco is a fascinating country with a mixture of very nice peoples. Finally, we had a great trip with no problems either health or any other. Have fun.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Thanks Peter, looking forward to the trip though a little worried about the effects of the camel ride on my back. any worries in that regard ?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

The camel ride takes about an hour in to the desert camp and another hour out, the next day. Although the ride is not smooth going (what camel ride ever is), the camels were very sure footed and there were no complaints by travellers about any back problems. The camel ride is rougher than that along Cable Bay in WA but as I said, we had no problems. The secret is probably to tell your tour guide about your back and he will help you sit is the best position. Not carrying a pack on your back would help, this can be attached to your saddle. Good Luck.

Mackay, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Hi

I am starting to research a possible trip to Morocco next year. These posts make the 16 days Highlights of Morocco option sound very appealing to us, active 50 plus types. I usually prefer independent travel, but this tour just happens to hit the mark. Was unsure of the general age group who travel with this company but it appears we would not be the stand out oldies. With some extra days before and after the tour and a detour

to Chefchaouen we may have the bones of an exciting 3 -31/2 week visit to Morocco in the making. Thanks to those who have offered advice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

Thanks again Peter, one final question - is there electrical power at the overnight stay in the Sahara on the camel trek ??

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peregrine Adventures: Morocco Explorer

There is power at the camp site. It is provided by a small generator. There are electric lights in the tents and adjacent to the toilets. It is a good idea to take a small torch. There did not appear to be any electrical sockets for charging mobile devices at the camp site. We left the majority of gear and our tour bus at the Kasbah Yasmina at Merzouga. Yasmina has a number of electrical sockets and free wi-fi. It also has showers and a swimming pool that we were able to use. We had breakfast there after our ride out from our overnight camp site. Enjoy.