We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

Bellevue...
1 post
Save Topic
7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

My fiance and I are looking to spend our honeymoon in Morocco for 7 to 8 days in July. We know it's the hottest time to visit, but we're looking to do something different than the traditional honeymoon hot spots. We're not really sure where to start in planning. Everywhere looks so amazing! We also heard it will be Ramadan during our time in Morocco. We'd greatly appreciate if you could share any helpful cultural tips around Ramadan in Morocco.

Here's a couple cities we thought we worth visiting. Thoughts?

- Marrakech

- Agadir

- Essaouira

- Merzouga

We'd like to stay at 4/5 star hotels. We are open for recommendations.

Also, if there are any activities we'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

El Jadida, Morocco
Level Contributor
216 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

Please don't bother with Agadir. It will disappoint you, especially as you are going to Essaouira, which, although "touristy" is far more authentic.

During Ramadan, please do not smoke in public at all. Smoke breathed in by a Moroccan implies breaking of the fast and by smoking you are imposing this on them.

It is not illegal for non-Muslims to eat and drink in the streets during Ramadan but it is best not to do so. Just think of what eating in front of hungry and thirsty people might mean to their equilibrium. However, many cafes and restaurants are open and you can eat and drink inside or on the forecourt, which may well be surrounded by semi-opaque plastic sheeting to allow foreigners and exempt Moroccans to do so.

You may be advised by others to "cover up" more, for reasons of "respect" (both men and women). I have a great deal of difficulty with this concept as Moroccan men and women do not, in general, wear more modest clothing during Ramadan. They may, on occasion wear traditional dress more often, but not all day long.

Things are very much slower during Ramadan in the day. Shops open later, people lie in till the last possible moment and often don't emerge till midday or one o'clock. At the moment of the breaking of the fast, it's eerie. No one is on the streets at all. Later on, the streets are thronged and on the coast, the beaches are full, especially when Ramadan is in the summer.

A nice convention (and one I adhere to even though I am an atheist) is that if someone poor knocks on your door at the breaking of the fast, they should be given a meal, equivalent to that being eaten by the residents. 3 years ago a couple of Moroccan friends I shared a villa with and I fed 4 street kids for a month. I was terrified that these glue sniffers would make off with the trays, teapots, crockery and cutlery but not one single thing was stolen, not a thing - my Moroccan friends were horrified that I had even suggested that the kids might and assured me they wouldn't. However, all bets are off after Ramadan!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

See also the green navigation bar at the top of this page. It will help you with your questions about accommodation. 'Things to Do' helps with activities. Also click on RAMADAN at the top right of your screen for more information on the Holy Month.

I personally would give Agadir a miss. A day or overnight or even a 3 day excursion to Essaouira is well worth it from Marrakech. On this occasion you do not really have the time to visit Merzouga to make the experience worthwhile.

Welcome to the Morocco forum Alejandro_Laura.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

7 to 8 days - stay in Marrakech and Essaouira. You have not much time to do some longer trip like to Erg Chebbi, it is far and you need at least 4 days for to enjoy that trip. And I am agree, skip Agadir.

4. Re: 7/8 Day Honeymoon Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:17