We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to hire a car in morocco and do a self drive holiday over 10 or 11 nights. I will be arriving and leaving from Marrakesh. I would like some advise on how long I should stay for each place I am planing to visit as some place would worth spending more time than others.

Here are the list of places I am planing to visit. Please advise me on where I should book a hotel and stay overnight and if so how long should I stay for.

Marrkesh

Rabat

Casablanca

fez

Chefchaouen (must stay overnight here due to my friend have special reason to visit here ^v^)

Ouarzazate

Meknes??

(A night or 2 in the Saharan desert) Please advise me where is best and worth to stay.

Am I planing to visit far too many places in a 10/11 nights trip?

Please also advice me the route I should be takeing and as visit which city in order.

Thanks you everyone.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

It is a bit too much to fit into 11 nights but just about doable - will be less rushed if you can stretch to a couple more days as you could then overnight somewhere between Fes and Merzouga or do an extra night in Chefchaouen etc.

Forget Meknes and I would actually prefer to overnight around either Todra or Dades Gorge rather than Ouarzazate on way back to Marrakech from the desert.

Marrakech (2 nights)

Stop off Casablanca to see Hassan II Mosque

Rabat (1 night)

Chefchaouen (1 night)

Fes (2 nights)

Merzouga (2 nights for desert)

Ouarzazate or Todra/Dades (1 night)

Stop off in Ait Bennadou

Marrakech (2 night with day trip to Atlas Mountains or Essaouria if you have seen enough of the city)

Edited: 17 May 2013, 10:26
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Do you want to rent a car? It is the best.

You try to cram to much, you need to reduce something. 10/11 nights anyway are not so many for all you want to see. Traveling is slowly. On the way from Marrakech via the desert to Fes is much to see and it would be pity to only rush around.

Maybe you would skip Casablanca, Rabat, Fes and Chefchaouen. And do Marrakech and via Ouarzazate (explore around Ait BenHaddou, Telouet, Skoura maybe) to M'Hamid and back. And one trip over night to the coast for example Essaouira or so.

Which time of the year you will go? If it is in Summer so skip probably the desert trip, it will be hot there. Though it gets really hot everywhere except on the coast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Hi I am in fact planing to go on the 5th of June. Yes we are hiring a car. would it be a problem even if we have air conditioning in car?

I can skip casablanca and rabat but there is no way I can skip Chefchaouen and Fez since I heard Fez is way more interesting than marrakesh.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Now I wonder if casablanca and rabat worth for me to visit or should I just stay in the traditional side of morocco rather than modern ciities. Thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Neither Casa nor Rabat are 'must sees', at the same time both have some interesting sights, the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca in particular.

However you will pass both cities enroute from Marrakech to Fes if you go by the motorway route and it would be a long drive (7+ hours to Fes) if you went straight through so it makes sense to break up the journey somewhere on the way.

If you are not interested in Casa or Rabat then you can go Marrakech to Fes cross country on the basic roads and pass through small towns on the way.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 00:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Hi nibrika, thanks for your kind information

Me and my friend possibly will make the trip 2 weeks now so we have a few extra day to see the country. Not good for my wallet!!!!

I have a one more question here. In genernal is it diffcult to find parking space for the car in morocco? since I know many hotels are located in the old town area and I have no idea where to park the car.

thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

If you feel that you must go to Chefchaouen and so, follow nbrikas proposed itinerary. It's not so bad, just that there is too much traveling.

If you skip Casa and Rabat you can go through Beni Mellal (and see waterfall Ouzoud) to Meknes, etc.. But it gets so many kilometers just ...

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

Good idea to make it 2 weeks - then you can see everything at relaxed pace.

Parking is not an issue in general, but it can be difficult in the Medinas (Old Town) as not many riad guesthouses have parking. Ask any riad you are booking in Marrakech or Fes about parking and they will advise - will always be somewhere you can leave the car but you will have to pay and it might be 10min walk away from your riad.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

BTW I can recommend Dar Scotlandee in Chefchaouen - it is outside the medina so no issue with parking.

10. Re: Morocco self drive holiday advise please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17