We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Morocco in January

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Morocco in January

Hi all,

I am traveling to Morocco with my wife in Jan 2014 and wanted to plan well ahead. We are going there for a total of 5 nights.

We fly out from London and arrive at Fes. After seeing a bit of Fes the next day we plan to catch a NIGHT train from Fes to Marrakech. Are their night trains from Fes to Marrakech? Are night trains safe? Are they cheaper than day trains? Do I need to buy tickets in advance?

We also plan to travel to Essaouira, Chefchaouen.and Merzouga. I do not have any idea as to how far these places are? Can someone please help so that we can plan an itenary? Also some advice on nice but cheap places to eat etc will be very helpful. I am open to suggestions so please help! :)

regards,

Archan

1. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 15:27
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

I dont think there is any night train from Fes to Marrakech - only from Tangier to Marrakech.

anyway you have no chance to see all those places in just 5 days - basically you can do either Fes and Chefchaouen or Fes and Merzouga.

Marrakech and Essaouira are the other side of the country and should be left for another trip when you fly to Marrakech

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

Many thanks. How about fes and Marrakech? Can we cover these 2 places? What are the nice places to see in these 2 places?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

There are no overnight trains from Fes to Marrakech. The only overnight train in Morocco with sleeping coupes is between Tangier and Marrakech.

However there are several trains that connect these two cities and leave at night. There is train leaving Fes at 2:10am or 4:50am but they don't have sleeping coupes.

You can not buy train tickets outside of Morocco. Most of the time it is fine to buy tickets just before departure. But it is recommend it to buy it few days before especially if you want to have seats in first class seat. Trains in Morocco are safe.

You need to seriously reconsider your travel itinerary. There is no way you can visit all these places you have suggested in 5 days. You can do only Fes and Marrakech and maybe day trip to Essaouria within these days, depending on your time of arrival and departure from Morocco.

Your Morocco Tour

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

yes you can cover Fes and Marrakech in 5 days, however I personally would not recommend it as I dont think it is a good use of time to travel 8 hours each way when you have such a short trip to Morocco.

Also you would get a better variety of experience by doing Fes&Chefchaoen or Fes&Merzouga but it depends what your priorities are.

Check the 'Things To Do' tab at the top of the page for the top attractions in each city.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

The most common mistake people make when planning a trip is being too ambitious with the number of places they want to visit. Morocco is a large country, travel is slow, and if you really plan to visit Fez, Marrakech, Essaouira, Chefchaouen and Merzouga (i.e. five places) in five days, you will spend 12-15 hours a day travelling and won't be awake to see anything of interest.

You need to get a guidebook (Rough Guide or Lonely Planet) and a map (Michelin 742 or Reise KnowHow) and look at exactly where these places are.

Northern Morocco will be colder than southern Morocco in January and you should look at Tafraoute in the Anti Atlas and other southern venues. And plan to spend at least two nights in each place so you get a chance to actually see Morocco.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 13:16
7. Re: Traveling to Morocco in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17