We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

Oldham
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

Hi everyone,

The two of us are off to Morocco next week, flying into Agadir arriving late morning. I understand that we will have missed the daily bus by the time we land. What is the best way for us to travel to the Riad in Essaouria where we are staying? And the likely cost?

Also, has anyone any good tips for dining and nightlife?

Many thanks in advance.

Robert & Jane

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

yes the last bus by CTM seems to be at noon so your only options are either staying a night in Agadir or going by grand taxi but I have no idea how much it will cost.

Perhaps ask your riad for advice?

Check the Essaouria section for restaurant reviews etc:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g298349-Essaou…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

It is a three and hour hour journey from Al Massira airport to Essaouira and the driver may stop for refreshments roughly halfway.

I expect the fare to be in the region of 600-800Dh for both of you but when you are at the airport check near the exit as there was a display with approved fares to various locations from the airport.

Knowing this will give you peace of mind as any ensuing arguments with the driver will be avoided. There will also be an additional charge for luggage of 20Dh or so.

The fare from the airport to Agadir, should you decide to stay overnight, will be 180Dh in the daytime or 200Dh after 8pm plus luggage charge. Of course if you stay overnight in Agadir you must pay for a room plus food, expect this to be an additional 600Dh or more depending on where you stay and eat.

You could then get the early morning coach at 8:30am with Supratours at 65Dh per head plus luggage charge (?) but then you have spent all that extra money on the overnight stay and is it worth it just to get a cheap bus fare? Suddenly the 600-800Dh fare sounds a good deal.

I checked out a Moroccan taxi shuttle service going between the two who charge 750Dh per head but this will be doubled as the requirement is a mniumum of 4 people so you have to pay for the empty seats if you want the taxi for yourselves, 3000Dh in total or €300!

Taxis between the two locations will not have aircon although the bus will.

The absolute cheapest way is to get a taxi from the airport to Inezgane, which the taxi passes through to get to Agadir and Essaouira. You then get a shared taxi from Inezgane to Essaouira at about 130Dh per person BUT you will have about four other people crammed in which is very uncomfortable for such a long journey.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

PS - Essaouira doesn't have nightlife to write home about, this is a place to relax and not let your hair down in night clubs which don't, as such, exist. You may go into a tourist hotel's disco but expect to pay to get in and alcoholic drinks will be very expensive.

Agadir is THE place for nightclubs, bars, cafes etc.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 22:54
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

Agree with John, so can be roughly about 3 hours drive from Agadir Al massira Air-port to Essaouira, stoping in a place called Tamanar for a break.

regarding the restaurants i like ilmare more class and has a live Music, food is good and staff are well presented, also Taros is good , but no nightlife as John has mentioned Agadir is the right place for the night same as Marrakech, in Essaouira you can just enjoy the beach, the people walking around and doing their activities in the port, it's really an authentic and it's all just a highlight.

Oldham
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

Dear Nibrika, John & Soco

Thank you very much for the help, I very much appreciate the comments. The travel agent wanted over £200 for the transfers so I took your advice and emailed teh Riad we are staying in. They have arranged a taxi to collect us at the airport at a cost of 800MAD (about £75?) which seems to be in line with your comments.

What shall i ask you now? I suppose my next query is generally speaking, are credit cars accepted in Ess and about or is it really cash economy?

Thanks

RHS01

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

You should always pay in cash for just about everything you purchase. Essaouira has quite a few ATM's which accept all major cards. However, machines are frequently out of cash at weekends so be sure you have enough to get you through.

Be sure you use a debit card, not credit card, inATM machines, reasons are expalined in this article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

Oldham
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

Dear John9159

Thanks for the second travel tip. I note you are in Manchester while we are in Oldham. You seem to be quite an expert on Morocco; would it be worthwhile us meeting and buying you a drink before we go so we can find out more?

RHS01

8. Re: Transport; best way from Agadir airport to Essaouira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:16