We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

My husband and i are planning to go away in May 2014 and Morocco has caught our eye as the possible location; to be honest it looks incredible and has the right mix of culture and vibrancy that we are seeking.

Having checked FCO the safety guidelines are a bit ambiguous- Is Morocco, (Marrakech being the area we're looking at) safe to go to now? The website mentions a security threat and bombings a while ago? All i can find is old reviews and i would like to know how things are now.

Also if anyone can help, are there any cultural traditions that i would need to know about? I am not the type that swans around in a bikini but i always aim to be respectful of a country's traditions.

Lastly, am i right in thinking they speak French? If so, this is good, i am fairly fluent :)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Helsx

Frankfurt, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

Hey Helsx,

I've been in Morocco with my boyfriend some weeks ago. We also read the warnings of the Federal Foreign Office that Morocco was a endangered country, but we didn't notice any of it at all.

We made a big tour through Morocco (Marrakech, with a rented car through the Atlas Mountains, Zagora, 1 night in the Sahara, Ouzoud Waterfalls), but we had no problems at all. Only at the border areas, it might be a bit more "dangerous" (e.g. Algeria).

Especially in Marrakech, there are many tourists, and although it was Ramadan the time we went, there were also many people (of course non-Moslems) who run around in short clothes.

I didn't. But I had the feeling that most of the Moroccons tolerated their clothing as well.

Where do you wanna stay exactly in Morocco? I think it depends on the area. If you are in a smaller area, I would abide by the "dress codes".

Of course one has to get used to the fact that every 5 minutes retailers try to talk to you in order to sell their stuff, or people who wanna show you around and want money for it. But that's a thing you get used to after a while and if you know how to handle it, it's no problem at all. It might be also funny.

And yes, most of the people speak French. There were many people who didn't speak English at all. So I would take a dictionary. :)

On the whole, Moroccons are very hospitable, kind-heartred people. I really enjoyed being there and I hope you will enjoy your trip as well.

If you wanna have more information of our trip to Morocco, I also wrote an extensive travel report on my blog with many pictures.

…blogspot.de/2013/…more

Enjoy!

Mimi

Edited: 31 August 2013, 11:25
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

Helsx, how much time will you spend in Morocco?

May is a wonderful time to come, but don't spend all your time in Marrakech.

You have plenty of time between now and then to do some research, starting with obtaining a good guidebook. I use Rough Guide-Morocco but there are many other guides such as Lonely Planet.

I have lived in the town of Taroudant for more than 4 years, and I keep up on events in Morocco.

I can tell you that it is perfectly safe to visit Morocco, and you can go anywhere.

3. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:24
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

As a long time resident of Marrakech (over 12 years) I can assure you that the country is safe for travellers.

As far as languages go Marrakech is the most cosmopolitan city in Morocco. Berber and Darija (Moroccan Arabic) are the two premier languages but French is indeed the second language. Many people also speak English in Marrakech, especially if they are trying to sell you something!

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

Hi Pilobolus2011!

Thank you for your assurance, it was merely confirming what i beleived. The FCO website was telling conflicting stories is all. i was looking at staying near Marrakech because of a particular hotel, but now i think the area surrounding Agadir/Essouira looks like it may be a good base for us and then we will look at Excursions to other locations.

Many Thanks

Helsx

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

Hello DavidDaoud!

We will be coming for 1 week at the beginning of may.

Thank you, I will look into your suggestion of a guide book. We just need to find a place to stay now.

Thanks again.

Helen

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

Hi Mimi,

Thanks so much for all your help, much appreciated.

I will certainly take time to read your blog.

Helen.

8. Re: Morocco: Safety and Travel Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:38