We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Rather than asking "which of these three are the best" since that's very subjective, can anyone please provide me descriptions/overall experiences/ANY comments regarding these 3 cities (especially the first 2)? I've got 3 days (*maybe* 4) to allocate to 2 out of 3 of these areas.

I'm a 23 year old female and I'll be with my boyfriend...I'm pretty artsy and I appreciate the "aesthetics" of a city, into photography, and also want to shop around for some quirky things and trendy leather purses. The street art of Asilah and Azemmour appealed to me but then again Essaouira is, for some reason, loved by many. I've never been to any of these places obviously, so I'm not going to base my decision off of google images, so I really need help in choosing 2 of the 3 cities.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Travel distance is not an issue since I'm pretty much traveling ALL OVER Morocco so I will fit it in on days where appropriate.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

My preference is Azemour, then Asilah then a long way behind, Essaouira. Have a look at the descriptions at http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

3. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 11:58
Edited: 28 October 2013, 11:58
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,362 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

I personally would highly recommend Essaouira and then choose one of the less known spots for a contrast.

In terms of quirky shopping, art galleries, restaurants etc - Essaouira is by far the best option. Some people feel it is too touristy nowadays, but I go there often from Marrakech to get away from the tourist hoardes and enjoy the 'chilled out' vibe. Lots of great photo opportunites around the port, Skala and ramparts. It is a good spot if you are into art as there are several galleries and quite an arty scene.

Azemmour is relatively untouched by tourism so far - has a unique Medina perched right on the river, very photogenic from the other side of the river. Not sure what street art you are refering to though as I have never seen any! Be aware that there is a limited amount of places to stay, eating options etc - although El Jadida is just down the road with more options and worth a visit if you are in the area.

Asilah I dont know so well so will leave comments for those who know better. I know it is more popular with Moroccan tourists rather than overseas.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 01:59
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Asilah is the one with the street art, each year the walls are freshly whitewashed for the artists to create their latest paintings. Another interesting town is Larache with the Roman ruins of Lixus nearby.

Essaouira, Morocco
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

This summer's novelty in Essaouira is murals, so the town is catching up with Asilah! Check out this site for impressions and ideas about Essaouira: http://www.maroc-o-phile.com/moroccan-musings

Agadir city Morocco
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Asilah is best and quiet and small and it is building art

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

Okay, if I decide to spend 1 day in Asilah or Azemmour, is it even worth it? Would I even be doing them justice or should I just spend 3 days in 1 place?

decisions... decisions... :(

9. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 11:55
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Descriptions of Azemour, Asilah, & Essaouira (Please post!)

mikanqueen: found nothing about Essaouira artwork on the page you linked.