We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip help please

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
road trip help please

Hi everyone..

Now some of you might think this is an insane trip but I have 4 days and what I am doing is flying into fez on 28th november and spending that day in fez

on 29th november early morning I am hiring a car and driving from fez to Tinghir (via atlas mountains and ziz valley) n staying overnight in tinghir

on 30th november morning I am driving to Marrakesh (via todra gorge, dades valley & ouarzazate)

overnight stay in marrakesh and stay there on the 1st december :)

Ok I its a bit crazy as I will be driving for nearly 7 hours and 30 mins on the first day (constant) and about 6 hours the second day (constant)

all I want to ask is that is it do-able ? is it safe to take this route? is there a other route I can take which would cut my journey time & I can see those wonderful places along the way? should i stay overnight in tinghir or in erfound (if it balances the driving time)?

those driving times are from google maps but can one do those journeys in those times as I know i will be driving throught mountains and zig zag roads?

If someone has better ideas then do let me know too...

but I am that kind of person who prefers to be more on the road than in cities.... I love the wonders of nature along the way than man made structures :)

please let me know.. thanks

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip help please

I think there are more than just some of us on here who think this is insane...

Forget the driving times from google, you're going to need a lot more time than that.

You say you prefer nature over cities. Then forget about seeing and staying in Fez and Marrakech, collect your hire car upon arrival in Fez and hit the road immediately, and return the car in Marrakech before your flight out of there. Even then, it will still be an insane trip. You will hardly have any time for a stop along the way, and be very, very tired: you have to be on guard every second of the drive on these roads. Ok, you'll be able to say that you've driven in Morocco, but I can guarantee you you won't be able to say that you enjoyed it...

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip help please

okay thanks a lot for replying... i can skip fez and start on the drive straight after i land.... but wondering then how further should we drive to and take a overnight stop where on the first day?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip help please

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your reply I read that you want to skip Fez but still go to Marrakech. I feel, and considering you said that you're not really a city person, it would be better if you do want to see one of the cities to do go and see Fez, but skip Marrakech: Fez is much more genuine than Marrakech, which I found to be geared to tourists, a bit like a Moroccan Disney land.

In that case you could arrive, see Fez and spend the night there, and then hit the road early the following morning. The road from Fez south to Tinerhir through the Middle Atlas mountains is more straight forward driving than the road west from Tinerhir through the High Atlas mountains to Marrakech. It would be doable to drive from Fez to Tinerhir in one day I guess. But do make sure you allow for some time to stop at the cedar forests near Azrou, south of Ifrane, to see the barbary macaques (nature!). Don't stay at the Riyad des Palmiers in Tinerhir (see my review of the place). The Ziz Valley is beautiful but you can admire this as you're driving. There is a nice hotel too in Errachidia, see our review.

This will give you 2 more nights / 3 more days (I don't know what time your flight out of Marrakech takjes off) to drive west. We took 2 days last year to drive from Marrakech to Tinerhir. This allowed us to drive only part of the Dades Gorge, and none of the Todra Gorge. But maybe you won't stop as often for pictures as we did. Do be aware however that the road through the High Atlas is often winding and slow-going, and you really should enjoy it, rather than just racing through it. We had to skip some of the side-trips we had planned, purely due to lack of time as we went even slower than anticipated, despite all the advice we got from TA.

You can see pictures of our trip here: www.pbase.com/ellisonphotography/morocco. Feel free to ask any more questions!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,574 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip help please

You need for this trip at least 3 days and if you want to go via ZIZ valley you would take one more day. And in that case not overnight in Erfoud but in ZIZ Valley, there you find accommodation and there you are in middle of nature. Erfoud is not so much to see, a little boring city. From ZIZ Valley via Erfoud then to continue to Tinerhir you take road towards Tinjdad. But as I say or write, you need in this case 4 days for the whole trip.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip help please

thanks for all you help... my time is very restricted... wish i was coming to morocco for longer... but from what you guys said... i will skip marrakesh and instead use that day for the road trip.

so this way i would have 3 full days for my road trip from fez to marrakesh airport (to catch my flight back- thats it)

i will come back to you with my ammended plan and then you guys can advise me further if something needs to change

Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip help please

Mistaya71 - Your pictures are gorgeous. I definitely have to go back and see more of them. Thanks for sharing.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip help please

yes mistaya71 i did forget to mention that... but your pictures are amazing :))

8. Re: road trip help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 06:19