We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

6 posts
Save Topic
Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

hey.

so i am travelling with a group to Morocco from 17 oct to 27 oct wherein we cover most of the touristy stuff of casablanca, fez, marrakesh etc and the other smaller places that come in between on that route.

I want to extend my trip and stay back to visit these places ... Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

So I wanted to check if they are nice and worth the extra days and trip. My flight is in and out of Casablanca. So in essence this would be an additional route that I would explore myself. I dont mind the additional flights within Morocco.

But my concerns are ...

are these nice places?

is air travel within Morocco reasonable and reliable?

Since I will be a single girl - a lot of people have turned around and said its a bad idea to do solo travel - is this true?

Lastly my objective of staying back is to see some more pretty places... spa detox n relax at some nice resort before heading back home!

any thoughts?

Would appreciate some genuine feedback and guidance

Also if someone could recommend a tour company that could help me organize this and give me a reliable english speaking guide and car driver to explore these places with a reliable person that would help. money is not more important than my safety!

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Travel Within Morocco
Travel Within Morocco
50 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
1. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 09:31
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

I personally recommend both Chefchaouen and Essaouira, they are great places to relax. Tangier on the other hand is a busy port city so I suggest you read about the attractions there to decide if that is what you want - click the 'Things To Do' tab at the top of the page for reviews about each city.

The places you mention are not easily connected by internal flights - you will have to travel by train, bus or grand taxi.

you dont mention where exactly your tour is taking you and where your last stop is, so difficult to recommend where is best to spend your extra days and how to travel etc.

Check the top questions on the right hand side of the page for detailed advice for female travellers in Morocco.

Mentioned in this post
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Essaouira
Essaouira
Tangier
Tangier
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
3. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 13:05
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
910 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

Tangier is very different to the cities further south in Morocco. People seem to either love it or hate it. Remember that the ambience of the film CASABLANCA - as well as the Piano Bar, which was modelled on the bar in the Hotel Minzah - is more redolent of Tangier than of its namesake. Check out this article to see if you think it might appeal to you.

wildscope.com/travel-reports/A-long-weekend-…

There are many nice B & B's in the Tangier medina.

A lot of people who come to Tangier do a side trip to Chefchaouen (preferably overnight there than a rushed day trip).

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

Wow! That article on Tangier was long.... but very informative... a little too much although because now I feel like I already know the place! :) :(

Nevertheless, since some of you asked, here is the current itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive into Casablanca. Stay overnight

Day 2 – Check out and drive through Rabat and Meknes towards Fez. Will be seeing the following places en route

• Mechouar

• the Royal Palace,

Oudaya Kasbah,

• the Mohammed V mausoleum

• the Hassan Tower

• Roman city of Volubilis

Day 3 – Day at Fez. We will be seeing the following sites at Fez

• medina of Fes el-Bali

• Talaa Kebira and Talaa Seghir

Bab Bou Jeloud

• Nejjarine fountain

• Karaouine mosque

Mellah

Jewish cemetery

• Dinner at Palais Dlanedina with Traditional Dance Show

Day 4 – Leave Fez for Merzouga. We will be seeing the following places enroute to Merzouga

• middle Atlas Mountains

• Ifrane, a ski resort

• Azrou, a handicrafts centre,

Midelt, a former French administrative center

• jeep excursion for sunset at Sahara Desert to reach Merzouga, Erg Chebbi

Day 5 – Leave for Ouarzazate

• Drive via Rissani and Tinghir

• valley of Dadès

• the Todra’s Gorges

Day 6 – Leave for Marrakech while seeing the following places en route

• Ait Ben Haddou

• Tiz-In Tichka pass

• Djemaa El Fna

Day 7 – In Marrakech

• El Bahia Palace

• Koutoubia Mosque

• Djemaa el Fna

• Show & Dinner at Chez Ali.

Day 8 – Check Out and leave for Casablanca. See the following places

Hassan II Mosque

Quartier Habous

• Corniche

Rick’s Café

Day 9 – Leave for back home!

So ya, am back to being open for feedback and suggestions of how to include the 3 places and other suggestions...

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tangier
Tangier
Casablanca
Casablanca
Rabat
Rabat
Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Meknes
Meknes
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Hotel Oudaya
Hotel Oudaya
472 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Hassan Tower
Hassan Tower
957 Reviews
Rabat, Morocco
Fes el-Bali
Fes el-Bali
644 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Bab Hotel
Bab Hotel
339 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Mellah
Mellah
604 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Jewish Cemetery
Jewish Cemetery
66 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Merzouga
Merzouga
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,190 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Midelt
Midelt
Erg Chebbi
Erg Chebbi
Marrakech
Marrakech
Bahia Palace
Bahia Palace
9,008 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Chez Ali
Chez Ali
1,601 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Hassan II Mosque
Hassan II Mosque
6,978 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
Quartier Habous
Quartier Habous
689 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
Rick's Cafe
Rick's Cafe
2,440 Reviews
Casablanca, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

that is a very hectic schedule on the tour! you dont really get enough time to properly experience the major places, for example usually 2/3 days in each Fes and Marrakech are recommended.

anyway your tour ends in Casablanca but unfortunately the places you mention are in opposite directions from there so it will be too much effort to visit them all. You will have to choose which way to go.

There is a direct train to Tangier and then you can bus or hire taxi/driver to Chefchaouen. Or go back to Marrakech by train (there are plenty of spas in Marrakech and sights you will missed in your short time there) and then bus or taxi/driver to Essaouira.

Or if you are just looking for a luxury beach resort then you may consider the Mazagan Beach Resort which is not so far from Casablanca.

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Casablanca
Casablanca
Tangier
Tangier
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Essaouira
Essaouira
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

ya. I upset about the hectic schedule too. I dont rhink we are doing justice to a lot of places.. but then cant really go back to all places again by myself... makes no sense!

so I am thinking of taking a royal marc flight to tangier from casablanca ( after the tour ends). spend one or two nights there. then leisurely drive and visit places while enroute to chefchaouen. spend probably another 2 nights there. and then take flight back to casablanca.

unfortunately havent been able to find good hotel properties af both locations so am actually wondering if upon return to casablanca maybe I should go stay at some nice beach resort property to just unwind before heading home.

recommendations on 5starish properties would be welcome! and of course thoughts on my crazy itinerary too! :-)

8. Re: Chefchaouen, Tangier & Essaouira

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17