We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essaouira over Christmas

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Essaouira over Christmas

Hello, I went to Essaouira in August 2011 and absolutely loved it.

I'll be back in Morocco over the festive period this year and would like to return. As I will be with someone new to Morocco, I wondered how cold and windy it would be? Whilst I'm not looking for sunbathing on the beach, I don't want to get blasted when walking around Essaouira.

As such, should we maybe rethink going there, or should it be ok?

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

Hi,

No-one can predict the weather. I've been to Essaouira many times in early January and it's been sunny and warm (in a sheltered spot away from the wind!) but my mum who lived in Scotland thought it was really lovely weather.

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

Great, that's what I wanted to hear! My Mum will be staying with us this time and she lives in Scotland, so I'm sure she'll like it.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

hopefully it will be nice but you should prepare for the worst - rain is not unusual and the nights can be chillier than some people expect. Obviously it will be far warmer than Scotland though!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

Untrue. Last winter the driving rains and North Atlantic breezes forced the temperatures down to far below what was being experienced on Scotland's western coast and forced the early return of my guests who were visiting Essaouira from Germany, a country not exactly known for its mild winter climate!

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Morocco
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

Whereas we used to be able to predict the wind and rain in Essaouira, thanks to global warming, this is no longer possible here any more than anywhere else. I always recommend packing layer-able clothing including a windbreaker and a polar fleece jacket and warm sleepwear (or long underwear). You'll probably want a hat and scarf to get to and from the airport, so make them light enough to wear here, too.

Enough places along the beach have shielded areas that you don't have to be wind-blasted, and you can always walk to the sidewalk and hail a taxi. The festive period usually brings a lot of tourists, and many restaurants offer special holiday dinners (requiring reservations in advance).

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
6. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 09:47
Edited: 10 October 2013, 09:47
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

Thanks everyone, I will make sure I pack warm clothes (I usually spend Xmas in Scotland, so used to that!)

8. Re: Essaouira over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:19