We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez or Marrakesh or both

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
Save Topic
Fez or Marrakesh or both

Hi!

We will be coming to Morocco in late April this year. I had originally hoped that we could spend 6-7 nights in Marrakesh, using that as base for 3 day trips and then go onto Fez for 3 nights. That is not going to work out. We will be in Morocco 9 nights. The last night we need to spend in Casablanca because we fly out fairly early in the day.

So the question is should we only go to Marrakesh? Do a cooking class one day, go to Atlas Mountains, Ouzoud Waterfalls as day trips. Go to Essaouira for a night. End in Casablanca for a day to go see the Jewish Museum and fly out.

or

Do we split our time between Marrakesh and Fez? If we do this, what should we cut?

or Do you have a different idea, all together?

Thanks so much for all your help!! We can't wait.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

Hi,

I like your first plan.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

In my mind it would be a true shame to visit Morocco and not see Fes. Split it up for sure. I would cut Ouzoud personally. Interesting but it's just a waterfall.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

I personally think you are better off with the first itinerary, the problem with doing both Marrakech and Fes is that you waste a whole day just travelling cross country

Then you can comeback another time and do Fez, Chefchaouen, Merzouga etc

and if you are staying in Casa then dont miss the Hassan II Mosque

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

I'm with those who suggest you should focus your visit this time on Marrakech. There is so much to experience in and around this magical city. Venture out beyond the city walls, certainly, but there is no need to lose time in travelling as far as Fes. Head instead to the Atlas Mountains for an overnight stay, or more, making the most of the opportunity to trek through traditional Berber villages and over spectacular mountain passes. As Nibrika suggests, save the north for another day.

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

Both. I would spend longer in Fez as there are also great day trips. The Medina of Fez is so much larger than Marrakech and not as touristy. Going to Morocco without visiting Fez is like going to France and not seeing Paris - it is the spiritual and intellectual heart of the country and the home of the artisans who make so much of the stuff you find in Marrakech. It is also less of a hassle for visitors.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

In number 5's humble opiniom ;-)

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

When I first visited Morocco in the early 1970s I preferred Marrakech, in more recent years I've come to appreciate Fez much more.

What I wouldn't do is to split my time between Fez and Marrakech; whilst they are quite different in character (Fez is more Arabic influence, Marrakech more Berber), at the end of the day they are both imperial cities and you should see more than just these in Morocco.

If you have Fez as a base you can also see Azrou (and its wild monkeys), Ifrane (and its ski resort), Volubilis (Roman ruins) and Chefchaouen (famous blue village).

If you have Marrakech as a base you can also see Imlil (trail head for trekking), Ait Benhaddou (famous ksar and film set), Ourika Valley (waterfalls).

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

"not seeing Paris - it is the spiritual and intellectual heart of the country" ?

I suggest a bit more research about France before making such ridiculous statements even though you were referring to Fes with inappropriate grammar!

There are so many centres for artisan products in Morocco. Fes is by no means the only one. Marrakech, as I have stated before, acts as the centre for the sale of Moroccan crafts (as it has traditionally been a trading post for centuries, unlike the religiously and culturally isolated Fes) and has far larger medina souks than Fes.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

Bit strange to compare Fes to Paris! After all Marrakech is the tourist capital of Morocco and attracts far more visitors than Fes.

Although I think it is a bit silly to try and claim that one is better than the other anyway, both cities are worth visiting but I agree with Tim that it is better to choose one and then head out to the coast, mountains etc rather than spend all your time in cities.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fez or Marrakesh or both

I'm the spouse. So we've been able to add 3-4 days to the trip, still arriving in Marrakesh from Madrid. Does that change some of the recommendations?

Is there a way to arrange a multi-day outing to direction of Merzouga, so that we ultimately end up in Fez?